Chapter 5

"Enma!" (Y/N) called as she entered the judgment hall. "King Enma!"

Silence. (Y/N) sighed, slumping her shoulders. She'd wanted to report what happened during the trip to the zoo the day before, but the great king was nowhere to be seen.

"Guess he's lunching in the Cafeteria today," she muttered. "Oh, well. Better luck next time."

Just as she was about to leave, she noticed the Johari Mirror resting by the wall. Smirking, she fetched the spare remote from Enma's desk, plugged it in, and began switching through the scenes. It was a sort of hobby of hers—after all, how else would she see the world?

She'd just gotten it to settle on an image of a zoo in England when someone called her name.

"(Y/N)!"

She turned just in time to see Nasubi skid to a halt, Karauri chasing him.

"Oi!" the brown-haired oni shouted. "Get back here!"

"Is something the matter?" (Y/N) asked, standing up.

"This moron keeps running off!" Karauri snapped, pinching Nasubi's ear.

The white-haired boy squirmed. "I'm sorry ..."

Karauri sighed and released his grip, turning to (Y/N). "Anyway, why are you here? It's lunch break, you know."

"I know. I actually came because I hoped King Enma would have lunch at his desk, but I guess I was wrong."

"He's at the table with the TV if you want to catch him before break is over," Karauri suggested.

(Y/N) shook her head. "It's okay. It's a rather personal ma—"

"Karauri, look!"

The two turned towards Nasubi, who was fixated on the mirror, which showed a bunch of monkeys fighting over food.

Looks like he found some relatives, (Y/N) thought.

"Oi!" Karauri shouted to his friend. "You shouldn't be using that without permission!"

"It's okay!" (Y/N) interjected. "I turned it on."

Karauri stared at her, his fist an inch from whacking poor Nasubi on the head.

"Seriously? Won't you get in trouble for that?"

"I don't think so. Hozuki is the one that taught me how to use it, after all."

"Really?" Karauri exclaimed. "Do you think I could get him to show me?"

"I don't see why not—"

"Hey, (Y/N)," Nasubi interrupted. "Are you in love with Mr. Hozuki?"

Karauri and (Y/N) simultaneously punched the top of his head.

"You can't just ask someone a question like that!" they shouted.

"I'm sorry," Nasubi whimpered.

"Though," Karauri added as (Y/N) calmed herself. "I have to say, I am curious..."

(Y/N)'s face was the color of a tomato.

"Honestly..." for a moment, she considered answering honestly, but stopped herself just in time.

"I-it doesn't matter," she mumbled.

Sighing, she turned back to the mirror, and flipped through it. The boys watched over her shoulder.

"Where's that?" Nasubi asked as she settled on an image of a rainforest.

"Australia," she answered.

"Hey, didn't Mr. Hozuki visit there once?" Karauri inquired.

"Yeah! Actually..."

After five minutes of button mashing, she finally found the image she was looking for—Hozuki cuddling a koala.

"Isn't it cute?" she asked.

Silence. (Y/N) looked over her shoulder to find the boys cringing.

"What—"

"If you mean the koala, yeah..." Karauri muttered.

"Whoa!" Nasubi gasped. "Even with a fluffy animal he doesn't smile!"

"Really?" (Y/N) exclaimed. "He is smiling!"

Karauri gaped. "That's a smile?"

"Of course!" (Y/N) squinted at the screen. "I guess his lips don't move much, but he's smiling inside!"

Karauri knelt next to her. "He is?"

Nasubi broke into a grin. "(Y/N)! You're like a Hozuki whisperer!"

"I suppose she is."

At the sound of a mysterious voice, (Y/N) screamed, hurling her club at the intruder.

Hozuki caught it easily. "Though I don't see why I need a translator."

"M—Mr. Hozuki..." Karauri stammered, slowly inching behind (Y/N). She stood her ground, forcing an embarrassed smile as her club was handed back to her.

"A good throw," Hozuki informed her, "though it would be wise not to let go of your weapon in a real combat situation."

"Y—yes, sir."

He then turned to the smaller oni, who were now both cowering behind (Y/N)'s back.

"You should return to the cafeteria before your lunch break ends. Working on an empty stomach isn't advisable."

"Yes, sir!"

They ran off, leaving (Y/N) alone with her crush.

To her relief, he was more than willing to break the silence.

"I don't mind you using the Johari mirror," he told her, "but please don't play with it during working hours."

She gasped. "Y—yeah. I'm sorry."

Hozuki held out a hand, and she gave him the spare remote. He was about to turn it off, but when he caught sight of the screen, he froze.

(Y/N) flushed when she remembered what it was playing.

"I don't understand it," Hozuki sighed.

(Y/N) glanced at him. He had a finger to his chin, eyes narrowed.

"W-what?" she stammered.

He looked at her. "People always say I'm hard to read. Why is that?"

"Well...your face isn't very expressive," she murmured, shifting from foot to foot.

He tensed.

(Y/N) flinched.

"I-it's okay!" she exclaimed, waving her hands. "I mean—it might not be very expressive, but your face is still very cute—"

(Y/N) froze.

Did I just say that?

Hozuki stared at her, visibly startled.

I did just say that.

There was only one way out of this situation.

She turned and ran.