Searching for you

I leave and search for his face as I walk out of the bar back out into the cold air until I get into my midnight Buick to sleep for the night. I looked at the sign noticing it was a pub and bar and decide that tomorrow I'll go there and get breakfast and try to find him. I lean back and close my eyes welcoming a cold, uncomfortable, dreamless sleep. I awake to to the sound of distant birds and the first rays of light gently overlaying my eyelids. I look at the pub to see if it's open and checked my wrist watch seeing that with my luck it doesn't open for another hour.

I sat in the car with my knees to my chest wondering how I got into this mess in the first place. I'm praying I find him and am questioning why I wanted to marry her in the first place. After questioning most of my life choices for the next hour, I check my wrist watch and notice the pub is opening. I get out with some money from yesterday still in my pocket and walk in with some other early people to get some breakfast. I order some porridge and after finishing I paid the bartender, left a good tip and left.

I walked out of the pub, back to my pitch black Buick to decide what to do next. I decided my best option was to drive around and look for him. I continue driving in the nicer numb silence and peace of the streets. I've been driving around for six hours before I turned a street and saw some kids out in the six inch snow. Then, they picked up their snowballs and fired. One of the snowballs hit my windshield perfectly, in that moment I decided to get out and ask them if they knew where the man lived. I stepped out of my black Buick, my ginger hair like fire compared to the snow. The minute I got out of my dark midnight colored car the children ran in different directions as if it was a perfectly practiced play. I ran after the only two left, they were the only ones who could possibly know him and his whereabouts.

My face was just about as red as my hair. My pant legs were soaked but that was the least of my worries. I chased these two kids throughout the neighborhood, through several backyards, around trash cans, through woods, and around houses until it seemed they were finally losing speed. I pushed myself faster until my face was as burning red as a flame. I finally caught up to them grabbing the backs of their jackets. They stopped and looked at me intently. I caught my breath and began to speak, "You stupid kids, I must say your entire run was for nothing. I wanted to ask you if you know a man by the name of Lewis Jackson, about five foot four, brown hair, blue eyes?"

One of the two kids which was a male said he lived down the road from where we are right now. I smiled and said thanked the boy as I headed toward the house not caring about where my car was. I noticed Lewis in the front of his house trying to shovel the snow. He doesn't notice me for a few moments until I called out to him. Lewis looks to me with a mix of emotions, shocked, confused, and happy. Of course he was happy to see me, we're friends... right? I dismissed the thought thinking it was just me overthinking. He walked over to me with a questioning look, "What are you doing here all the way in Pittsburg, Clyde?"

"Can we talk about that later, my car is outside of the pub and bar."

"Of course, we can talk about it on the way home."

I began walking to the pub where my car was still parked. At one point I felt his hand gently graze against mine and it sent a tingle through my arm. I tried to ignore it as we reached my dark Buick, highly contrasting with the pure white soft snow.

I got into the passenger's side of the car while Lewis got in the driver's side. As he started to drive back to the house, there was that silence that I so bitterly hated not knowing why. I decided not dealing with the awful feelings of before and finally spoke, "This story is going to take a while."