Chapter 7 - A Friend in the Dark

Oswald's POV

I knew really well that receding the shaking of my limbs was useless but I do it instinctively, trying hard to suppress my quivering form even for a few more moments. However, the heart in my chest refused to cooperate. It was beating so hard until I thought that it could break my ribs and rip my skin apart. I clenched it tight, trying my best to calm it down.

I need to clear my mind. Maybe a bath will help.

"I want to take a bath," I requested, still avoiding eye contact with Ed. I needed some time alone to think and process what he had just said to me.

"Yes! Sure, Mr Penguin," his tone was awfully cheerful compared to moments before. Is it just me or are there two different people in his body?

Edward directed me to his small bathroom on the far right. He walked in and turned on the water tap for me. The tap made a high-pitched squeaky noise before water started to flow into the tub slowly. The tub was pretty old-fashioned and simple compared to the luxurious one I had in my home, but despite that, Ed's was very clean and well-kept.

This man knows how to manage himself. I felt slightly impressed.

"Here are the toiletries!" he giggled as he handed them over.

I grunted and got the bath ready. After I was done, I turned around and hoped that the man would have left by now, but he was still standing by the door so I glared at him.

"Is there anything else that you need?" Edward asked. Is this man playing dumb or what?

"Yes! You've been standing by the door for ten minutes now, I'd very much like you to leave while I change" I scoffed.

Edward made a face like he just realized what was wrong. Then he smiled again and replied, "will do," before closing the door.

Finally! Peace and quiet.

I slid down into the warm water, letting it block out the sounds around me. This brings back memories, I thought. I recalled the conversation I had with Mother before she was gone, always remember to trust no one. And she was right, of course. I trusted Jim Gordon, the policeman whom I thought was my friend, but he betrayed me and protected that snitch, Galavan. He knew Galavan killed my mother, but he chose his job over me.

Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light. Gordon will regret this, I swear.

But, Nygma? Was he my friend?

He had been showing nothing but kindness towards me even if I made it absolutely difficult for him. I wasn't used to affection as people always expected something in return. But Nygma kept showering his love unconditionally on me. Why is he doing this? What are his intentions? These thoughts alone were driving me crazy.

He might be the friend I was looking for.

After sitting in the bathtub for some time, I decided to get up and pulled the shower curtains away. A set of freshly new pajamas were placed on the chair that had not been in the room before. I quickly locked the door of the bathroom before changing into the oversized pajamas, thankful that they were not green like the ones Ed usually wears.

This man has some serious privacy issues, I thought, feeling relieved that the shower curtain was thick enough so that Ed could not have seen my naked body.

I examined the momentarily steam-filled bathroom again, looking for a mirror. To my surprise, there was none. I do not recall seeing one hung outside this bathroom as well.

Shaving must be a real challenge for him. I wonder how he manages that without getting hurt.

I stood in front of the slighty dented grey bathroom door, my hand was on the brass door knob when I heard a voice shouting from outside. I instantly recognized the voice as Ed's. It sounded like he was talking to someone, but his voice was the only one that I heard. I turned the door knob to find out what was happening.

"Is everything all right, Ed?"

My eyes scanned around the room quickly to see if there was someone else, but he was alone.

***

Notes: Sorry guys! I wrote this in quite a rush, had a lot of stuff to do in the afternoon. Apologies in advance if there are many spelling and grammar errors in this one. It's past midnight now, I'm too tired to check through. I promise things will get exciting in the next chapter, good night for now! (*ゝ∀・)v

 I promise things will get exciting in the next chapter, good night for now! (*ゝ∀・)v

End of chapter 7! (✪‿✪)ノ

***