Chapter 6

*Ten Thousand POV*

Doc, Cassandra and I approached the truck with the satellite dish. Everyone appeared solemn, I assumed that they found no food, which sucks.

"What's wrong? Where's Addy and that quiet girl?" Doc observed.

I nudged him in the ribs with my elbow and whispered her name to him.

"Missing," Mack informed.

"Missing?" I repeated in disbelief. "What do you mean they're missing?"

"Are they..." Doc insinuated the worst.

"No. Taken alive," Mack says grimly. "By humans."

What does he mean taken by humans? That doesn't make sense. I haven't seen any dang humans around out here, or at least not living ones! They couldn't have been taken by humans. They, they have to be somewhere close, this has to be a mistake.

"By who?" Doc questioned in disbelief.

Mack approached Cassandra with a tablet, backing her up against a dumpster, and Warren stated, "We thought you might know."

Cassandra looked astonished, refusing to look Mack in the face, or turn her eyes upon the tablet. When she did, her face fell.

"Me? Why would I know?" She tried to play this thing off.

"You recognize these guys?" Mack asked, pressing on the tablet.

"No, why would I?" She asked again, breathing increasingly heavy and raising her voice.

"Creep on the left was one of those two bikers back in Jersey, with your friend Travis," Warren stated with an accusing tone.

Cassandra continued to try and play stupid, trying to cover up her knowledge of what was going on. Mack grabbed her throat like the guy in the video grabbed Willow's, and put a gun to Cassandra's head. For a second, part of me hoped that he'd pull the trigger. If she had a part in having Willow kidnapped, I think I'd kill her myself.

"You are gonna start telling me the truth right now. Or I am going to start blowing holes in you until you do. Do you understand me?" Mack threatened, obviously distraught at the loss of his girl.

Garnett stepped in, likely saving Cassandra's life.

"You're going to tell us everything you know about these guys, right now," Charles stated calmly.

"Or I'll shoot you," Warren growled, placing the barrel of her gun to Cassandra's head.

She started to confess that she knew something. Something of the men in the video, or of some place she remembered. Mack, frantic clung to any word she spilled and attempted to wring her out for more information. A Z ran towards us, attracted by the noises and I shot it, adding the scum's death to my count. In the commotion, Cassandra bolted down the avenue, and a partial group followed.

Doc and I stayed behind to keep the truck safe, but I also knew Doc probably wasn't fit to run after Cassandra. I sat on the tailgate of the truck and rested my chin on my fist.

"Well, kid, looks like we may have a few less mouths to feed now," Doc observed.

I turned around to face him, "That's not funny. Do not say that again."

"Geez kid, don't get your panties in a twist," Doc defended, putting his hands in the air. "What's got you so damn upset?"

"I- I don't know. That girl reminds me of my Ma," I confessed.

"Kinky," Doc chuckled.

"No. I don't even know what that means. I – I just. I really. I feel about her like I feel about killing Z's. Like it's just natural, like it's what I'm supposed to do. I don't know her, but that's what is so good about the whole thing. It just feels right," I stammered, but stopped, feeling like an idiot for opening my mouth.