Chapter Three

1

The world slowly came into focus after three minutes of staring up at the ceiling, the house was silent which gave everything an eerie sort of aura. Even the sound of his ticking clock made him uneasy, but perhaps that was because he awoke with a pounding heart. Another nightmare to wake up with, it would be on his mind most of today which only seemed to make matters worse. He pushed himself up, whimpering at the feeling of his muscles screaming in protest to this action. Zander had slept nearly the entire day away, his eyes peered at the clock which read half past noon. This would explain why he woke starving, he didn't have much to eat last night or yesterday. 

Pushing the blankets off of his body, he let his feet touch the cool hardwood floor and for a moment Zander allowed himself to daze again. He wondered where his mother was, she was usually home around this time which was not the case this time, where was she? 

Standing up slower than usual, he allowed himself to take in his surroundings little by little. This was going to be a very off day, he could feel it by the way he couldn't really see much of any color except for the red on his pajama pants. 

Walking down the hallway, he noticed that every single door -including the bathroom- was shut tight, which was even stranger since that was never the way things were. This all made him very uneasy, as he got to the kitchen he found a note beside a few small cups of medicine. Using his shaky hands to lift the note, he found his mother's lovely script handwriting across the parchment. 

"Zanbaby, I know that you're not feeling well and that's alright. I decided to let you sleep in today because last night was so very stressful on you, I won't be gone all day today. I've gone to the pharmacy to pick up your prescriptions and then I'm going to be home with lunch. Take these for now, they should take that fever down a few notches. Remember that mommy loves you so very much and that everything is going to be alright. I'll see you later, angel boy. 

love, Mommy."

Zander carefully folded the note, pushing it into his pocket before he took each and every medicine that she had left out for him. Making a face with them all, they tasted gross. He washed them down with a small glass of water, setting the cup down very carefully on the counter. The small boy looked around for a few moments, losing his sight again to a black sort of fog that passed through and then was gone. It was concerning him more than usual, this never seemed to happen but it was now. It was scary to think of what could happen in the allotted time before his mother returned home, Myles was prone to not playing nice whenever they were alone. 

There was something unusually off about today, he had to remember that mommy mentioned sometimes Myles can feel trouble and because of it he acts out. This only made him concerned and curious, but he still was slightly calmer than before. He walked into the hallway again, only this time he heard a sharp scream. He quickly ran to his bedroom, searching but finding nothing. Next he ran to his mother's bedroom, pushing the door open with his palms. His dark eyes searched for the screaming person, but there was no one there. He looked in the bathroom next, however he only came up with a few towels on the floor and a leaky faucet. 

Zander continued to search the house for this scream, his heart aching with possibilities of who it could be. The scream came again, louder than usual this time and he swore just for a moment that it called out to him. He spun around when he heard this, the location was his mother's room! He nearly tripped running down the hall, gripping the door frame and swinging inside. This time he aggressively opened the closet door, but of course he found nothing. There was no one here and he knew it, but there was something happening and it was terrifying. He wanted it to stop, he wanted the screaming to just go away.