FIVE

« the pain »

____________

____________

FRANK! I CAN'T KEEP HOLD
IT HURTS MORE THAN EVER
I'VE BEEN HIT BEFORE BUT –
FRANK YOU'RE SCREAMING
FRANK!
WHERE HAVE YOU GONE!
FRANK, PLEASE STOP.
FRANK, I LOVE YOU
FRANK FRANK!
PLEASE GRAB
MY HAND –
________________

It all happens very suddenly.

One moment, the three Longbottoms are having their breakfast, and in the next, a deafening crash echoes through the air, causing the walls to tremble and the windows to rattle. They sit stunned in their places, unable to move, but when a mad, shrieking laughter – a horrifying cackle – reaches them, Alice and Frank both leap to their feet, drawing out their wands. They exchange fearful glances, knowing very well who the laughter belongs to, but their Auror instincts kick in, and they are quick to hide their emotions.

Alice's mind, however, whips upstairs, where Neville is asleep. She glances at Frank, who is already halfway out to meet the intruders, and then she looks at Augusta, whose eyes are wide with fear. Alice pushes her roughly to bring her to her senses and forces her to stand up.

"Augusta, take Neville and get away from here!" she urges, shoving her in the direction of the stairs. "Get out through the back door and disapparate to the Weasleys."

"What about you two?" Augusta seems to have gathered her senses, for a light burns in her eyes, and her voice is as steady as it could get.

"We'll fight them. Go, please."

A scream tears through the air, which finally pushes Augusta to run for the stairs. Alice whips around and bolts to the entrance hall, wishing, hoping, that it wasn't Frank who had screamed. She pushes thoughts of Neville to the back of her mind, fully trusting Augusta to take him to safety.

Frank is on the ground.

She sees him first, doubled over on the floor, a look of excruciating pain very prominent on his face. Then she sees Bellatrix Lestrange. Clad in black robes, towering over him, a crazy menacing laughter erupting from her mouth as she kicks him on the ribs and sends him to the floor.

"Frank!" Alice shrieks involuntarily. She raises her wand to curse Bellatrix, but all of a sudden, something heavy crashes on her side, and she collapses to the ground, a piercing pain shooting through her arm as he drops on her elbow. Another death eater pins her down to the ground, making her unable to move. She slides her hand around the cold stone surface to search for her wand, but realises that she has been disarmed.