Isabel and Bobby team up

Miss Theobald's talk had helped Janet and she was able to play tennis with full concentration. Most of the girls wanted to go swimming. Wanting to seize the opportunity, Isabel offered to be Janet's partner. But alas for Isabel, Janet only wanted to play and not talk, so she didn't get much out of the afternoon but a good game of tennis.

Isabel sighed to herself as she went to change. Perhaps she had better tell Pat? Or Bobby, surely Bobby would care. Bobby did. She was worried about her friend and hadn't been able to defeat Doris, who wasn't as fast. 'Bobby you're slowing down.' Mirabel said. 'Leave her be, Mirabel.' Gladys said, 'She's thinking of something.' 'A trick do you think?' Pat asked eagerly. 'She looks rather serious.' Hilary observed. 'But girls, let's not waste our time looking at Bobby's face, what about a quick race?' she suggested.

Pat laughed and decided to be quite silly and splash Hilary with water. Doris found it amusing and began doing it too. Soon the whole pool was filled with girls shrieking and laughing, playing with water. Miss Roberts happened to pass by the pool. She decided not to scold the girls, they were still young after all. She smiled to herself and went on.

After an hour of games the girls were ready for their prep. Laughing and talking the soaking wet girls headed off to the changing room. Janet and Isabel had headed back too.

'I say Bobby,' said Isabel when seeing Bobby come out after prep. 'Could I have a talk with you?' Bobby smiled 'Whatever for Isabel? You look rather serious.' she said. 'It's about Janet,' replied Isabel 'I haven't told anyone else, not even Pat.' she said. This struck Bobby. Why, Pat and Isabel always told each other everything. This must be important, for Isabel was telling her before she had even told Pat. She followed Isabel to a corner in the common room and then Isabel told her. Bobby was horrified. 'Are you sure that she was crying?' asked Bobby disbelievingly. 'But Janet never cries!' 'That's why I was worried too, you see.' Isabel said. 'Oh, and she looked awfully pale, I asked her if she had a headache, but she said she hadn't one. Do you think she's ill Isabel?' 'No, for she was able to play tennis jolly well today, anyone who was ill wouldn't have been able to play that well.' answered Isabel.

'Time to get back to our dormies girls.' said Hilary taking charge, seeing that Carlotta was not there.

Later, Bobby, who slept in the bed next to Janet's, could hear a muffled sort of noise coming from Janet's bed. She half peeked at her friend. Janet was still awake and now had red eyes with tears sliding down her face. Bobby felt rather sad. Never had she seen Janet like this. She reminded herself that she would tell Isabel the next day and went off to sleep. Janet went to sleep too, later, exhausted from all that crying. The next day Bobby told Isabel what she had seen, before they went off to breakfast. 'Poor Janet.' Isabel said 'I say, Bobby, should we talk to her about it, tell her we know what's happening and offer to help?' Bobby shook her head. 'Janet can be awfully obstinate sometimes, like me.' she said. 'Oh I just hope we get something to look forward to' Isabel said. And soon they were going to.