'Sunsets, like childhood, are viewed with wonder not just because they are beautiful but because they are fleeting.' — Richard Paul Evans

As I looked out at the sunset the quote played in my mind, he was right. I could watch this sunset for hours. If I could just pause time. If only it could save me from this nightmare...

"Alize!" I turn my gaze from the sunset before me and see Leon and instantly know I'm dreaming. "What are you doing here?" I ask and then I begin to sob, "Why did you leave me? Plz don't leave me! ...You're not real! Leon! Leon!!!" I wake up screaming and crying "Leon!!" My whole body is shaking as my friend Lexi strokes my hair. "Shhh" she whispers. " Your ok, Leon is ok. He's in a better place now." I cry harder. I missed my brother. He'd died in an accident... or so I was told. We never found his body. Just his necklace and his favorite motorcycle... ruined, damaged beyond repair. There's no way he could've made it. A part of me hopes he did since we never found him. The necklace was my only connection to him now. I wore it around my neck it was a circular cerulean blue crystal wrapped up in a silver chain through a hole in the middle. He always wore it. Overtime I learned That it shines when I'm in danger or when its near at least. I grab it as the door swings open and Lucas walks in "Alize?!" I just cry uncontrollably. " Give her to me!" I hear him yell worriedly. I open my eyes to a blurry Lucas. My tears clouding my vision. Usually I'd push him away but right now, I didn't care. He puts my arms around his neck and slides his arms under my knees and behind my shoulder pulling he on to his lap. He's like my brother... Only issue is I have a slight crush on him. I know it's weird. He starts looking over me as if searching for injuries for a moment before squeezing me tight and stroking my hair. " Alize, I'm right here." He says in a protective husky voice. My embrace around his neck tightens as I hug him tightly pulling myself up so that my chin rests on his shoulder. " I miss Leon, Lucas." I say in a shaker sort of tone as I try to focus on breathing and trying to control my tears. " I know, I know, but I'm here. " He starts to rub my back and I feel my muscles relax. He's always been able to calm me down. "Lexi..." He turns slightly in her direction but not looking at her. " I got her, go to bed." Lexi nods sleepily before leaving again.  He turns back to look at me in his lap with a worried look. I crawl out of his lap and back on my bed. "I'm okay, really." I say , wiping my tears and responding to his obvious mental question. " I don't believe that." He responded fiercely in his barely above a whisper but gentle voice. "I just miss Leon, I mean how am I supposed to be at piece, when there isn't even a body? How do I know that... maybe he's still alive?" His face saddens. "Alize it's been about a year now I'm pretty sure he would've come back by now. " I sigh. " Your right." I say in defeat. He puts his hand on my knee. " Well, goodnight sweet dreams if you need me you know where I am." He says rising to leave. "Lucas?" 
"Yea?" 
"Can you stay with me? "
"Of course."
"Thanks."
He makes his way to my rocking chair.
"Lucas..."
"Hmm.."
"I could really use a cuddle buddy."
He smiles an comes over an sits on my bed. I move to give him room to lay down and he lays down on his right side facing me. I move in toward him a little more before his left arm encircles me and he rests his chin on top of my head. I can feel his chest rising and falling but fall asleep instantly. This is how my nights usually were. I dream of Leon, I cry, I wake up, let it out, then sleep again, and wake to the next morning live life and do it again.

I wake up to the the light streaming from my window and the smell of bacon and can't help but inhale as much of it as I can before exhaling and throwing the blankets off. I get up and throw some jeans on and a baggy t-shirt before brushing my hair and heading downstairs. I've never really done my make up. Well sometimes I do eyeliner but I don't feel like it today. I groggily rub my eyes as I make my way down the stairs to the kitchen. However life just isn't that simple, I'm clumsy. I almost trip on the stairs but catch myself with the railing. I let out a groan. " Can I not be clumsy for just one day?"
"Nope!" I hear from the kitchen.
"Lucas!"
"That'd be me..." I roll my eyes as I enter the kitchen.
"Smart Ass" I say. I'm greeted with a bright smile and a small chuckle. I look around for lexi who seems nowhere to be seen. " Lexi went to work, they called her in." I sit down moping.
"Hey, no sad faces. I was wondering if you'd wanna go to the beach with me?"
I look up at him wide eyes. " Is that even a question?" He does his signature slightly crooked smile making me smile too. "So that's a yes?" He says, sitting down. I grab a piece of toast and jelly nodding my head. "Sweet." He stares at me as I spread jelly on my toast. "Um... Would u like some bacon with that?" I look at him as if to say really?
"I just answered my own question, huh?" I close my eyes pretending to be annoyed and nod slowly to make it more dramatic. " Well, the rest is yours... If you can find it." He gives me a daring look. Without looking I say " microwave"
"How'd you know?!"
" You haven't tried there yet."
" Smart." He says as if contemplating and I let out a small giggle.
" Well I'm gonna grab stuff for the beach while you finish up." I give him a thumbs up while simultaneously stuffing my face with bacon as he leaves the room. I finish the last of my food and wash my plate before preparing for the beach as well. I always carry a little backpack with me, just a plain black one.  I grab my bikini, Lexi won't let me wear one pieces. She hides them from me. I find my light blue one. I don't usually have a lot of bathing suits like Lexi. I like to keep things simple and not too girly. " This'll do!" I rush downstairs and put my white flip flops on. " Ready?" I hear from my side and I turn to see Lucas waiting with his bag.
"Yup!"