Chapter 5

Kelly didn't lie. It was painful. I wasn't aware what the others were going through. Though i imagine it to be something similar. I trusted Rob who was 15 and old enough to care for himself, he proved that time and time again while we were on our own. Corrine and Alex was a different story. They were 3. The same age as Rob when he first came. I was ready to burst. To scream and shout, to ask to see them. I practically raised those kids. At 16 I barely was mother material. But I adapted quickly enough. I had to. Though Daughtry would fight me about that subject.
Daughtry,Hawskow, And Kelly. The three men assigned to us once we first made it here. They'd been with us up until we found a perfect opportunity to escape. They weren't mean. Treated us like their own actually. But anyone willing to hold us captive was a bad guy in our book. Especially now. As Daughtry checked time and time again for any trace of the infection. Blood samples and fancy gadgets I've never seen before.
       It was over soon enough. So with a new change of clothes and a fresh shower I fully expected my family to be waiting on the other side of the door Daughtry led me to.
   I froze like a deer in the headlights.
    The chancellor of Winfeld sat in the very room I walked into. I felt my blood run cold. My family and I know first hand what it's like to be punished at Winfeld. For the normal people who were above ground right now punishment would be easy. Some extra work duty. But for us. Extra experiments. Solitary. I distinctly remember a time where Rob had slapped Haskow. It was a year after we got here. He was only 4. They didn't seem to care. They injected him with strange vials they had wanted to test. And they finally found a victim.
For weeks we huddled together in fear that something would happen to him. We had no idea if what they put in his body was deadly. So far though, he's still walking. He was walking yes. Alive, unfortunately. The doctors had injected him with the DNA of a German Shepherd. They analyzed that this is where is agression came from. I didn't speak up but I knew that he always had a fire burning inside him. None of us wanted what he got. What if we weren't so lucky and died right on the spot. Thoughts like this makes me hold the twins tighter.
A year later, at six years old I was pulled into their crappy excuse for a medical bay. This injection granted me with the gift of wings. And just like Rob I'd have to be put through double the trials.
This type of punishment was for something severe. I don't know how these people think, but escaping Winfeld during an attack...yeah..that could warrant another  injection
     "Samantha." The chancellor's kind voice shattered my heart. Which I hardened over the last few years. But hearing her soothing voice made me feel safe. This was the same voice who had mothered me when she was only 4 years old. But if Rob was here he'd helpfully remind ne that it was the same voice that pushed the twins (Alex and Corrine) to not stop their trials. It was 1 in the morning. Chancellor Chloe threatened the twins if they thought about stopping their trials before her say so. Chloe ran all of us ragged. I was supposed to hate her.
Then why was her eyes filling with tears as I obediently took a seat across from her?
"Your silence scares me Samantha."
"I...what's there to say?"
"Tell me what you're thinking. If you're actually angry with that stare of yours. Or If you're really happy to be here."
I considered what Chloe said. So many ways to answer her question. Instead I asked a question of my own, "Where's my fami- friends?" There was only one time I called them my family in front of her. She was livid. Telling us not to get too attached.
If Chloe noticed my slip up, she didn't comment on it.
"They'll be here in a moment. But first I need to ask you a few things."
"All routine right?"
"Exactly!"
I reclined back in the chair, closing my eyes. This might be awhile.