Chapter 19

Ayato's eyes opened slowly, the weight of exhaustion trying to pull them back down. His ears rang a bit, and he took in a sharp breath as reality finally made its way into his senses. He turned his head a bit, looking around wearily at his surroundings. The blurred objects were hard to make out, but it looked as if he were in a room. By the way it felt he assumed it was his.
The teen furrowed his brows as he shifted slightly where he was. He was in bed. What happened? How did he get there? His thoughts were cut short as a sudden sense of pain ran through him. He winced and soon felt the edge of the bed next to him shift. His gaze traveled down to the area.
He blinked a few times finally allowing his vision to clear, and squinted at the figure beside him. It was (y/n). She was sitting on the floor, her arms and head resting on the edge of his mattress. His eyes narrowed in confusion.
"(Y/n)..?" He called out hoarsely. He watched the girl for a moment, but he got no reply. Ayato huffed. "Hey..!" He said, knocking his hand into her tiredly.
(Y/n) let out a tired hum and moved slightly, before lifting her head up from her arms. She blinked for a moment and looked around, and then her eyes widened quickly. "Ayato??" She asked, standing up. She looked him over quickly and placed a hand on his forehead to check his fever.
Ayato squinted slightly at the action. The girl's cool hand felt soothing against his warm skin, but it also felt weird to him. "Mm- quit that." He muttured, and swatted the girl's hand away to the best of his ability. He wasn't one to want care after all.
"Oh thank Christ you're alright" (Y/n) huffed, not even caring that ayato pushed her away. She bent down and pressed her forehead against the bed exasperatedly. She had been worrying about him all night.

     Ayato hummed in acknowledgment, somewhat annoyedly, and then sighed tiredly. He watched as (y/n) gave him a worried look and walked over to the other side of his bed, managing to catch a glimpse of her back as she did. He noticed deep wounds penetrating her skin. Two symmetrical gashes above her shoulder blades. They must've been from her kagune, but why weren't they healed? He waited until she had sat down next to him gently, and he saw the rest of her complexion. She looked tired, and she still had some minor cuts and bruises on her. He furrowed his brows.
     "The hell happened to you?" He asked bluntly, pushing himself up a bit.
     "Me? What the hell happened to you?" The girl asked in return. Ayato squinted at her and she huffed and continued. "What was that up on the roof earlier??" She asked.
Ayato thought for a moment, and the events that took place earlier in the night slowly came back to him. "Nothing.." he huffed. He didn't even want to think about what had happened, let alone go over it in detail all over again.
"Ayato, that wasn't nothing." (Y/n) argued. "If it was then you would've just killed those ghouls you were with right when you saw them"
"Look, I don't want to talk about them" The teen snapped. He pushed himself forwards as if he were going to yell at the girl some more, but as he moved his entire body seethed in pain. "Agh- shit-" He winced sharply at the feeling.

(Y/n) quickly leaned forwards and placed a hand on Ayato's shoulder in worry. The boy sat back against the wall with a groan, and shut his eyes tightly. He held his breath to try and block out the pain, and after a moment he felt a weight press against his chest. He winced at the pressure and creaked open his eyes to try and see what was causing it. The only thing he saw was (y/n) sitting there in front of him rather than by his side. One of her hands pressed down against his chest, the other trailed down his stomach carefully as she muttered something to herself.
     The blue haired ghoul sat there for a moment, and blinked a few times as he looked down and tried to figure out what the heck the girl was doing. He watched as she felt for anything wrong with his injuries, and tugged at the bandages wrapped around them. Only then did he realize that he was practically covered in the white material. He looked up slightly to the girl's face, and finally felt himself relax a little. She was calm, and the expression was nearly contagious. The gentleness (y/n) had as she tended to his wounds was almost soothing. He let out a quiet sigh in relief.