All Good Things Must Come To an End

With a growing disinclination, Aleks’ feet barely lifted from the ground with each foot-dragging step that neared him towards the entrance to his household, a destination he frankly didn’t want to meet and would pull any justification to evade, for the moment, at least. Despite the efforts of forsaking the persistent contemplation nagging every thought, whether remaining at the pit of his stomach or the back of his mind, Aleks couldn’t ignore the longing to remain at his date’s side as they walked together in the dim lighting of streetlamps, along with an irrepressible sadness he guessed would only increase the moment he and Eddie will have parted ways.

         He could at least be grateful Eddie had taken the liberty of parking his car further away from his home to accompany him in the lucid lighting that barely pushed the darkness away (though claiming it was ‘for his own safety’ to avoid having Aleks question or deter his decision), that he could be blessed with a few mere moments alongside the being that had caught his attention, and inevitably, his admiration.

         Neither of them had planned to walk in such serene silence, and even less to be relishing in such peacefulness as they walked. Aleks had thought he would be rambling the entire way home about how fantastic the evening had been, trying in some sort of way or fashion to live in the moment and make the most of it, but instead they were simply walking, enjoying each other’s presence with his date’s hand clasped in his own and their fingers intertwined. It was an odd, pleasing surprise, to have found comfort in the absence of sound, of a voice, anything. As a fanatic of music, he was always listening to a tune whenever he was given the chance, or someone was speaking to him, or he was in class listening to his teachers ramble on. Silence to him was a synonym for discomfort, an awkward situation he wanted nothing more than to escape.

 But it had suddenly gained a new meaning. Serenity. Love had seemingly done the same, for it was no longer something so… common, or easy. No longer was it heated lip locking, or awkward dates, or wasting money on barely thought out presents. Now it was soft whispers that melted into the breeze, careful touches along soft skin, long, loving embraces and longing glances that were enough to translate the words no longer needing to be spoken to be understood.

 All of this had been revealed to him by Eddie. In one evening, he had been proven wrong about so many things, showed the true meaning of the simplest settings and emotions. It was startling, how all of this had been unravelled to him so quickly, so suddenly.

“Aleks?”

Cutting the silence like a knife, Eddie’s voice suddenly met with his ears in a hushed and barely audible tone, calling his name with a loving care. Amidst his thoughts, it seemed he had been too distracted to take notice that they were already standing at Aleks’ porch, directly in front of the entrance. Breathing out a curse through a heavy sigh of disappointment, he turned to stare back into the deep, entrancing pair of brown eyes glued onto his figure with slight concern and worry, causing a short smile to stretch upon Eddie’s lips that matched with his own.

“Sorry. I was lost in thought.”

An understanding nod from Eddie’s part coming soon after his brief excuse, and then more silence. Though Aleks wanted to push away the thought of him and Eddie having to part ways to the back of his mind, the knowing glance they were sharing and the patient silence was a constant reminder of what was to come.

“Fuck… I know this might sound stupid, but I really, really don’t want this night to end,” he murmured, a blush rushing to his pale cheeks as he felt Eddie squeeze his hand as a quick, sympathetic response, before he continued, voice shoving his discomfort and reluctance with his sighed out words, “I just… I really want to stay with you.”