Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs Part 2 (In 2033)

I arrived in New York at about 19:30. It was supposed to be my early 15th birthday gift from my Mom and Dad. Basically, I bring two friends and we would all stay in NYC for two weeks, which my birthday being on Sunday, the 27 of August, is perfect. My friends, Sally and Mark, were so excited to go that they started packing their bags that same day. And we weren’t leaving in a week! Anyway, Sally and Mark Kendrick are siblings but they look so much alike, I’m probably one of the only people who could tell them apart. For example, when we were in our geography class, our teacher, Mrs. Bryson, went nuts trying to tell them apart. I mean really, they’re different genders.

“Mark,” Mrs. Bryson said that afternoon, “Can you hand out these sheets for the rest of the class?”

“I’m Sally.”

There was some snickering in the back of the class as Mrs. Bryson turned a faded shade of pink. “Oh, I’m so sorry Sally. Could you do the honours?”

“I’m only pulling your leg Mrs. Bryson. I’m Mark.” And that’s pretty much how it went all period.

I was laughing to myself. Mark was always the one to pull cheesy pranks like that. Though, I wonder sometimes why other people would laugh when I know they would make exactly the same mistake as our teacher. Stupid, I thought.

Finally, in the end she called me instead. “You know what Mark, Sally, whoever you are, you can sit in your seat. I’ll call on you for something else later.” She didn’t. Ever. “Luke can you distribute these instead?”

“Sure.” I said. Not that I was very eager to do so.

Anyways, that was about a month and three weeks ago. Now, Sally, Mark and I were waiting by the baggage pickup to grab the rest of our luggage, talking.

Though, let me explain the baggage pickup to you because I don’t think my descriptions would match yours. Baggage pickup is actually computers with little squares in them; last names printed on each. Ours would say ‘Dexters’, and once we find it we press the square with our finger (it has to a person with the last name by the way, or it wouldn’t work) and then our luggage would appear in front of us—like magic. Not that I necessarily believed in it. I just know that there’s been a huge advance in science these past few years.

“But seriously Luke,” Sally was saying, “We can’t eat and eat and eat while we’re here. I mean, there’s tons of stuff we could do. Like shopping. Did you know that New York is one of the most popular places to go shopping, especially on Black Friday?” And this was Sally. Loves shopping and has so many facts in her head that Mark and I wonder when it’s going to explode.

“For your information, Sally, eating is one of the most important priorities in the man’s handbook.” I had absolutely no idea what the man’s handbook looks like or was but I nodded my head anyways.

“Well your priorities are pathetic.” Mark made a face. “Well seriously, can’t you brainstorm one single thing we could do other then eating until our hearts drop to our toes?”

I thought for a moment. She did have a point. These two weeks should be the best two weeks of my life, considering it was my birthday. “I don’t know. Maybe we can go to the arcade if we find one, or maybe the movies, or even the library.” Sally and Mark groaned at this. The thing is, Sally may be the one with all the information, but I was the one who read a lot of books. And I’m talking, books-stacked-in-those-funny-cartoon-pictures-where-there-are-about-1000-each-pile kind of a lot. And the types vary, from fantasy to non-fiction, to plain math to sci-fi. But, the problem is that Mark doesn’t read. And Sally doesn’t have a problem with books it’s just I talk about it too much when I got the chance.