blood and brain matter | prologue

January 30th, 1995

San Francisco, California

“You don’t have to do this if you don’t want to.”

Rain pelted the windows of the small apartment, nearly drowning the words. Two people—a man and a woman--sat on a couch, each watching the drops splatter across glass. The orangey glow of the streetlamps smothered them.

“No,” the thin, nervous-looking woman responded. She was in her early twenties, with hair that had been dyed black. It was too dark for her eyebrows. Her hands shook slightly. “I want to do this. I’m just nervous.”

“About what?” the man asked. He was tall and despite the sharp features of his face, gentle-looking. He reached for her hand, but she pulled away.

“I’m sorry. I just don’t know how we can do this,” she stuttered.

The man rose his dark brows. “What do you mean?”

“What’s going to happen to it, if we do this? We need to take care of it. We can’t just let it live like it’s some experiment or something. We need to take care of it. Like actually do it right. Are you ready for that?” She was near tears now. Her brown eyes glistened and her voice was breaking.

The man appeared concerned and--for an instant—looked almost as anxious as the woman. He stood up from the couch so he could see her--kneeling--face to face. “I promise we can take of this. We aren’t alone. This child won’t feel like they’re just part of our plan. They’ll know that they have a purpose. How many people have a purpose in life? Not many. Our kid will be so special.” He looked away for a second, his strange, yellowish brown eyes checking the clock. “But it’s perfectly fine if you don’t want to do—“

“No,” the woman said softly. She was quiet for several seconds. “You really think we can do this?”

The man nodded. “Do you?”

“I think so,” she sighed. “I just wanted to know if you were ready for this.”

“I am,” he said. “We are. I promise.”

“Good. Let’s do this.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes,” she said, with a slight smile. “I’m one hundred percent sure.”

She pressed her lips against his as she started to unbutton his pants.