Chapter 30

Samara's View

"You need to calm down," I said, patting Danial's shoulder. It felt like torture to touch him, but he was clearly in distress.

"Calm down? I have a freaking stepbrother, and my mom just tells me this now? How could my dad betray my mom, even when I was already born?" He was in despair.

The revelation had shaken him. Apparently, his father had an affair when Danial was two years old, resulting in a son who had now resurfaced.

"You're overreacting. This is between your mom and dad; you don't have to butt in," I said, handing him a glass of water.

Thank goodness Mehwish was asleep at home. It was already 2 a.m., and I was stuck dealing with his family drama.

"Calm down? Do you even understand what I'm going through? My father had a relationship with another woman and has a son with her. HE CHEATED ON MY MOM!" He yelled, and I sank into the couch, exhausted.

"You're overthinking this. I'm sure your dad loves your mom; that's why he's with her," I said, trying to keep my calm.

"I cannot accept that I have a stepbrother. You'll never understand it," he snapped.

"MR. DANIAL MALIK, I HOPE YOU'RE AWARE THAT MY MOM MARRIED MY DAD BECAUSE THEY LOVED EACH OTHER. THEN THEY DIVORCED, AND MOM MARRIED A WONDERFUL MAN. I HAVE A STEP-BROTHER TOO, BUT HASSAN'S MOM IS NOT MY MOM. MY OWN PARENTS DISOWNED ME BECAUSE I HAD A CHILD ON THE WAY." I said all this in one breath, my voice loud and shaking.

"I... I didn't..." he stammered, stopping short.

How could he say I don't understand?

"And about your mother, I'm sorry about that. But don't hate your dad for this. Your daughter might grow up with hatred in her heart for her dad, just like you did worse to me than what your father did to you." This time, I spoke calmly, holding back my tears.

I didn't want my baby girl to hate her own biological father.

He looked embarrassed, and the atmosphere grew dramatically awkward.

"It's late. Mehwish will cry if she doesn't find me around when she wakes up," I said and left, leaving him looking down at the floor.

Perhaps this was the only way to calm him down, as he might have done something drastic out of exaggeration.

"Trust me!" I said tiredly, sitting on the sofa as soon as I entered our home.

"So, how is Mr. Malik after discovering that his family is as wrecked as yours? Mehwish inherited that too, didn't she?" Hassan said, pouring water into a glass.

"Your comments are awful, brother," I chuckled, swallowing down the cold water.

"I know, right, sister," he said, and soon we bid our goodbyes and went to our respective bedrooms.

I changed into my night suit and lay down next to the sleeping Mehwish.

There was so much to take in. It wasn't just me; even the supposedly respectable Maliks had dark pasts.

It's like history repeating itself: his father got a woman pregnant, and he did the same, leaving us in darkness.

However, Danial wasn't exactly like his father. I knew that regret, that love, and then the happiness that reached his eyes.

Morning...

"Really?" I asked the dealer happily.

"Mommy, Mehwish sleeping," she mumbled as my voice grew louder.

"Guess what, Mehwishuuu? You aren't sleeping anymore," I said, tickling her excitedly.

"No..." she mumbled, rubbing her eyes with her tiny hands.

"We're going to London," I said, and she jumped out of bed.

"Really?" She asked happily, and I carried her in my arms.

"Yes, sweetie," I said, walking into the bathroom to prepare her toothbrush.

"But, Mommy, why are we going to London?" she asked, her curiosity piqued.

"We got a wonderful car," I finally revealed.

"Really, is it like Daddy's car?" she asked, her eyes wide with excitement.

"Obviously not," I said, rolling my eyes.

Why did everyone associate me with Danial Malik?

The journey to London was filled with excitement and chatter. Mehwish was over the moon about the new car, and I couldn't help but share her enthusiasm. We arrived at the dealership, and her eyes widened as she saw the car.

"It's so big!" she exclaimed, her little face lighting up.

"Yes, it is, sweetie. It's going to make our life so much easier," I said, smiling down at her.

The dealer handed me the keys, and I felt a rush of pride. This was a significant milestone for us. I buckled Mehwish into her car seat and drove back home, feeling the smooth ride and the comfort of the new car.

When we arrived home, Hassan was waiting for us. "Wow, nice car, sis," he said, genuinely impressed.

"Thanks, Hassan. It's going to make a big difference," I replied, unbuckling Mehwish from her seat.

"Mommy, can we go for a drive again?" Mehwish asked, still buzzing with excitement.

"Not today, sweetie. We need to settle in and get some rest," I said, ruffling her hair.

As the evening settled in, I reflected on the events of the past few days. Danial's revelation about his stepbrother had stirred up a lot of emotions, but it also brought some clarity. Our lives were complicated, but we were finding our way through the chaos.

Later that night, after putting Mehwish to bed, I sat in the living room, feeling a sense of accomplishment. We had a new car, a stable routine, and despite the challenges, things were looking up.