SIX

RUDI WAS LOUNGING ON THE COUCH WITH A novel open on his chest. I snatched the book away and knocked him in the head with it.

"Ouch!"

"Be glad you're reading a paperback."

"What was that for?" he asked, sitting up.

"Why didn't you warn me that the client waiting for me was Napoleon?"

He smirked. "Maybe because you were too busy mocking my new friend?"

Dad came into the room. "Napoleon spoke to me on his way out. His father has offered to pay us for any appointments lost by your working with the police." He hesitated. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

I lifted my chin and straightened my shoulders. "Yes. It's the right thing to do. And, to be honest, it feels good to use my gift for something more than a cheap tourist thrill. No offense."

Dad rubbed my arm. "Well, if you want to do this, it's all right with me. Napoleon assured me that you will be taken care of and not put in harm's way. He's such a nice boy."

"Nice?" I snapped. "He cheated on me!"

"One time," Rudi said. "One mistake."

"I'm not getting into this again." I turned to leave. Dad blocked my way. He grabbed my hand and reached out to Rudi with his other. "Come, fruit of my loins, we're going for a walk."

"Where?" Rudi whined.

"Down the boardwalk. We'll grab something to eat for dinner."

I wagged a finger at him. "You're going to check her out, aren't you?"

"Whatever are you talking about?" Dad replied sweetly.

"Contessa. You want to spy on her."

He threw his hands up into the air. "Fine. Guilty as charged. You coming or not?"

Rudi and I exchanged a look.

"We wouldn't miss it for the world," he said, chuckling.

The first thing that hits the senses when you arrive at the boardwalk is that classic scent: a mixture of salt water, sunscreen, cotton candy, and Monty's pizza by the slice. The Eastport boardwalk stretches across three blocks, and includes one arcade, two bars, and a handful of shops and restaurants. The only children's activity is the old carousel and the line for that is always long.

Tonight, as the sun lazily sank toward the ocean horizon, the boardwalk was bustling. Crowds were darting in and out of shops and eateries, and there were a few rollerbladers and cyclists, as well as two street performers. There wasn't usually this much action on Monday nights; the weekenders would be back home by now. But it was the week of July Fourth, making this an extended weekend for most, and the boardwalk businesses were booming.

Including Contessa's.

The storefront's large plate-glass window featured a pink neon sign advertising PSYCHIC READINGS. A line of people trailed out the door, waiting to get in. I took a peek through the window, but saw only a long red curtain. Contessa's so-called readings probably took place behind that.

Rudi sat on a bench, busy stuffing his face with blue cotton candy and watching the girls walk by. Dad paced back and forth in front of the shop. I had a horror movie Netflix double feature waiting for me at home, but now I felt my night slipping away.

"Well, we came, we saw, what else do you want?" I asked Dad, my hands in the air. "She's doing a great business. We can't compete with her location. Our coupon is making the rounds. That's all we can do at this point. Let's stop stalking and go home."