Chapter Twenty-Three: The Valentines Day

The next day at school is absolute agony

The next day at school is absolute agony. As I walk through the halls of my school, I can't help but feeling like turning around, hopping in my car, and making a quick getaway to my bed and as much chocolate as I can possibly eat. Or maybe not eat at all...or ever again.

I shuffle sadly to my locker, resting my head against the cool metal tiredly. I hardly got any sleep last night. Will's hurt expression and his back as he walked away from me haunted my dreams all night. Every time I woke up, I felt a small sense of relief as I tricked myself into believing it was just that; a dream. But it was real and Will isn't speaking to me. My worst fears have come true. I've hurt him beyond all measure.

I slowly pull my frizzy hair into a bun on the top of my head. I was too lazy this morning to really get it to cooperate so I left it, not really caring at all.

I hear a loud laugh to my right and I look in that direction. Further down the hall, is Korbin and Heather. He has his arms wrapped around her from behind as she attempts to escape his embrace. My eyes squint to find that his hands are tickling her waist mercilessly. She laughs loudly again and tries to kick him away but to no avail.

Usually, this sight would make me smile. And I'd even tease Korbin about it a bit. But today, her laughs twist my stomach into sore jealously, and then self pity.

I sigh, grabbing what I need, and shuffling down the hall past the couple. As I walk by, they quiet down, looking at me sadly.

"MayBell..." Heather tries to reach out. "Are you okay?"

I look up from the floor at her glowing complexion and beach waves framing her face, her blue eyes alight with concern. "Yeah I'm fine." I lie.

I walk away, feeling even worse. I shouldn't have to lie about this. I should be fine. It's not me who's hurting, it's Will. And according to him, thinking of myself and of losing him is what got me into this mess in the first place.

The school day flies past me and I can't seem to catch up. I sit in a daze in all of my classes and getting reprimanded for "daydreaming" in most of them. When lunch comes, I am determined to sit alone or maybe even leave the school to eat out somewhere. Anything sounds good but sitting at a table where I feel unwelcome.

I'm sure everyone has heard about what I've done and though Heather seems okay, I know she must be disappointed. And understandably so.

I peak into the cafeteria, curious as to if Will is here. I haven't seen him all day so he either missed a couple of classes or he isn't here at all. Either way, without a doubt, he's avoiding me.

I squint in the direction of our usual table to see Shane chuckling with Korbin as he makes fun of his recent read. I'm too far away to see what it is but knowing Korbin, it's probably some sort of classic. Heather sits next to Korbin today, leaning in extra close as she sorts out her ascetically pleasing lunch in perfect organization.