Chapter 8

On board the Klingon ship Head Hunter, Captain Arpious considered very strange the maneuver made by Siegfried. He looked at his communications officer, and this seemed to expect that he should be examined, as commented:

"They are preparing to go into warp speed."

"What? What are they planning?"

"By the way, the Terran ship heads for the Delta Quadrant, Captain."

"I want eye contact on the screen, now!" asked Arpious.

The image appeared on the bridge monitor was enough to make the Klingon captain standing: the USS Siegfried was under the Borg command. One of them was piloting the ship, the other noticed they were getting contact, and approached the screen.

"We are the Borg" he said. "We assimilate the crew of this ship and their lives, their knowledge, now belong to the Collectivity. Klingons, get ready for assimilation. Resistance is futile."

Captain Arpious felt the warrior blood boil in his chest. He had no time to think about this unexpected tragedy, but he decided almost by instinct that the Admiralty and the own captain Jean-Luc Picard were now under the Borg domain. Even without knowing the details of that new type of spacecraft, and considering what should be a secret weapon, the Klingon officer knew that the only way to ensure that the new technology was not fully utilized by the Collectivity was destroying Siegfried. If they were preparing to go to the Delta Quadrant, the probable birthplace of the Borg, it was because something on the ship mattered to them. It could not be simply human knowledge, since this was already shared between all the Borg simply because of the assimilation of the crew.

Arpious had no idea what kinds of new weapons could be present on that ship, but even so, he thought, nothing could resist the attack of four Birds of Prey commanded by experienced officers. Relying on this, and inspired by anger that the Borg had broken out in his mind, captain Arpious made contact with other Klingon ships.

"You have heard,gentlemen!" he exclaimed. "Only one thing left to be done... Squadron, shootthe will!"