Chapter 2: Dream

Sunday, November 13

"Meenakshi...?" He held out his hand and urged her to take it. For some reason, he was shirtless.

"Surya...?"

She gladly intertwined their fingers and didn't plan to let go. His scent surrounded her as he held her close... she hummed and sighed, content.

"Meenakshi..."

His lips were trailing along her hairline then slowly down her neck.

"Meenakshi."

She closed her eyes, goosebumps all over her skin.

"Meenakshi !"

This voice...?

"Meenakshi, wake up !" Her mother snatched the covers off of her. "Get dressed, we're going shopping !"

He had barely opened his eyes that he was already staring at the painting he had done the day before. These flowers... there was something missing.

He rummaged through his bottles and tins until he found it. He dipped his fingers directly into the paint and gently added small touches to his work.

Yes... this was more like it. Just a touch of yellow on the flowers made more sense. It felt... complete.

Yellow.

Just like about mostly everything she wore... wait, what ?

He rubbed his face in frustration, paint sticking to his cheeks.

"Ugh..."

He went to the bathroom to wash it away but as much as he tried to, there was always a little bit left.

"Surya !" His mother's voice called across the flat, "I'm gonna buy groceries !"

He gave up and let the yellow where it was.

"Okay, Mom !"

"Well, come over here then ! What are you waiting for ?!"

"This necklace looks amazing on you, Meenakshi !"

"Hm..."

"You're gonna be a beautiful bride... Because you're finally getting married !"

The enthusiasm in her mother's voice didn't reach her. She wasn't feeling the least excited about shopping for her engagement or even her wedding. All she wanted was going home and be alone in her room, dancing and singing and dreaming of a life far away.