Chapter 1

Phil's POV

The grey clouds hung ominously over the dull, geometric skyline of London. The journey has not exactly been comfortable; an array of unsettling thoughts have been fighting for attention inside my tired mind.

New home, new school, new friends(hopefully) but the same old Phil. A faggot as I'm called so often. Not to mention incredibly shy, yet with a serious attitude problem. Just the guy people would wanna hang out with, right? I don't think so.

I don't really care though. I enjoy being alone; I love it.

Anyway, I never had any real friends back home. A seriously fucked up place, with some seriously fucked up people, but that's why I love it; I belong there.

But not anymore.

Mum decides she wants to get a different job, pack up and move to shitty London. I know some people love it but I just don't see the hype.

"Philip, darlin'?"

"Hrmf?"

"Come on, we'll be there in an hour or so, take those blasted things out of your ears and enter the real world for a sec, would you?"

"Hrmf" I consent, rip my earphones out, wind the window down and peer out of our old car.

Alright, so maybe we are moving to a better-than-averagd part of London. The streets are lined with trees that are well into their autumn phase, their leaves are a beautiful palette of orange, red and yellow, making the street look as if it was on fire.

A faint blaze of hope ignites onside me, my love for photography exciting me as I think of the new locations, people and light that I can work with here.

The beauty of the street is messed up somewhag by the graffiti-covered garages and gum-strewn pavememts, the choke of car fumes thresten to overwhelm me and I start coughing violently, frantically rolling up the window. Urgh!

Blatantly ignoring my recent coughing fit, mum continues to ramble on about the new house and her new job, but soon she just becomes background noise when I insert my earphones again, escaping into my own world where there is not shit to deal with, just familiar beats and lyrics to soothe my worries.

My shoulder is shaken violently and my peaceful half-asleep state is disturbed. Well I say peaceful yet Green Day had been bladting into my ears for the last hour we've been driving, blocking out all dull, mundane sounds of traffic.

I can hear someone callimg my name but I only register who it is when they rip my earphones out.

"Mum to Phil! Mum to Phil! Come on love, we're here, finally! The removal van was right behind us, they'll be here any minute and we have to unload it, honey."

I can see pleading in her eyes and grudgingly decicde to consent. She feels bad for making me move but I'm going to let her.

"Urgh, I can't believe you made me move here." I step out of the car, slouch onto the pavement and sigh, waiting for the bloody van to get here.

I looked around; the street is lined both sides with identical houses, in oerfevt suburban fashion. People rush by going about their daily business, it must be the end of the school day as kids of all ages are happily walking past, anticipating the up-coming weekend.

"Look Frank; we've been over this a thousand times. I have a better job here, I can make more money and we can live much nicerherethan we did back there." She pleads again.

To express my annoyance, I cross my arms over my chest and exhale heavily, avoiding her eyes.

She sighs, defeated. Ÿou can pick your room first if you life."

She reaches to touch my shoulder but I shrug away. Never letting anyone in; not even my own mother.

I turn around to face the house; 70 Salter Place. It's actuallynot too bad, set back from the road with a rustic quality to it and -oh my god- an attic! I have always wanted an attic room. They are soundrpoof, compact and isolated from the rest of the house. Absolutely perfect!

For the first moment since mum said we were moving, I amhappy and I can't help the grin that spreads across my face.

Ï knew you would like that attic; I haven'tseen you this happy since before..." She cuts off suddenly,but I understand why; since before my dad died.

I am literally  staring open mouthed up at the attic window. I clear my throat and shrug dismissivelybut I can not hidemy excitement.

The removal van has arrived at long last, chugging up the road, it's vile drivers laughing to each other and shouting at some mini-skirted girl across the street. I am suddenly grateful all of our stuff got here safely with these neanderthals 'driving'.

I try to interact with them as little as possible while unloading our boxes from the van and an hour later it's all finally in the hall of our new house and they have left, leaving mum and I to unpack them all. thank God our main furniture is already here or I think we wouldn't have had the motivation to get started.

"Coffee?" Mum suggests.

"Sure."

Ÿou'd better start looking through thesefor a kettle then." She smiles knowing I can't go without my fix for long. I sigh and take a wild guess to where the kettle would be. I am in luck and I pluck out the appiance handing it to mum and I figure I might as well unpack the rest of the box.

With that box unpacked, I think I deserve abreak and with a mug of steaming hot coffee clutched in my gloved hands, I ascend to the stairs to find the ladder to the attic already there. It's hidden behind a door in the ceiling and I have to ask mum to come and reach for the latch, as it's too high for me. We agree to get a pole soI can undo it myself in the future.

The ladder swings down in a swift motion, just brushing the harwood floor and I begin to climb rapidly, barelyable to contain my excitement.

I skip the rungs of the ladder two at a time in my scramble to get up into the attic and I look around trying to take it all in. It's actually quite big with a sloping ceiling and a lonely small circular window at the end, the only source of natural light.

It smells good, musky and of oak, with a slight injection of cigarette smoke. It's absolutely perfect!

I look around, still taking in the room, my room, when the doorbell rings. I exhale heavily, descend the ladder and make my way to the front door, knowing mum wil want me to greet tgem as she is still lumbering boxes around.

I turn the the golden brass knob, open the door and find myself facing the most beautiful person I had ever laid my eyes upon.