Entry 6

17th of May 1854

Today is a day of great sorrow. My dear, dear mother passed away in the early hours of this morning. We were all huddled around her bedside when she spoke her last words: “My dearest family. I love you all and so does Eilidh. Do not worry for me, for I am happy and safe.”

She passed silently and quickly.

I have not stopped weeping since, and I don't expect I shall for a while. I can barely see to write this, as my eyes are swollen from my constant weeping. I do not see how we can be happy in Australia now, with Mother not there to take care of the household.

Isabel and Patrick do not quite understand where she has gone, or why we are all crying so much, but Aileen explained how Mother had gone to live with Eilidh and we wouldn't see her for a long time. Isabel cried and so did Patrick, although I don't think he gets what she meant. I can still hear Isabel crying and Aileen comforting her.

No-one comforted me. I cried silently, tears streaming, rather than loud, wailing sobs like Isabel and Patrick. I shall miss my dear Mother so much. We all went down around an hour ago to watch as her body was tossed and my father went intp an anguished rage until he lost all energy and crumpled onto the floor weeping.

 I cannot stand seeing my loved ones like this. Oh why did we ever come aboard this cursed ship! Life shall not be the same without mother and I doubt we will be able to have a proper life in Australia with out her.