Time Slows When You Have to Wait

Chapter 20:

The sweet scent of Finn's cologne stirred Ava awake. She rolled onto her side, expecting to see Finn, lying next to her. But as she turned she felt a hard, rough surface underneath her. Gradually opening her eyes, she saw that she was in the corner of an empty room, lying on the cold, dusty, dented hardwoods. She rapidly sat up, then yelped from the twinge of a bruise on her hip. She noticed Finn, leaning against the only door in the room, watching her.

"Where am I?" she rasped, her dry throat burning as she spoke.

"Welcome to Cade's place," he smirked and gestured around the room.

"I trusted you," she tried to stand, but her hip began to throb.

"Well then you can't blame me, can you? It was your mistake."

Finn left the room, and Ava heard the defeating sound of several locks clicking.

"We've been waiting for awhile Colt," Dakota spoke nervously.

"And we're going to keep waiting. He'll make his move eventually," Colton growled.

"No," everyone turned to face Dakota, "It's been twenty-four hours Colton. In case you've forgotten, Ava has to be at school tomorrow. Not only that, but she has parents who are probably wondering where she is."

"She's right, Colt. Soon, people are going to start asking questions that we can't answer. You need to make a choice," Zeke crossed his arms, and everyone nodded in agreement.

"Since when do you two agree on things?" Colton gestured between Dakota and Zeke.

"Since one of our own, one of our friends, gets kidnapped," Dakota fired back, knowing that Colton only made that comment because he was frustrated.

"Fine. New plan: If she doesn't show up to school tomorrow, we make a move. Do something to call him out," Colton suggested.

Everyone nodded in agreement, except Dakota, who left the room, unable to accept her team's decision.