Roomates

Each day is a part of a never-ending cycle. Each day, I do the same things. School. Work. Sleep. Repeat. 

I am only in the 12th grade, and providing for myself is not as easy as it seems. Not only do I have to be my own parent, but I have someone else living with me that I have to worry about. He works and goes to school just like me. Roommates are all we are; at least that's what we are supposed to be.

It's been quite hard lately. Hormones are everywhere. I am a teenage girl and he is a teenage boy, living together with no parental supervision. What are we supposed to be? Responsible? In this generation, what even is that?

Recently, I've been coming home late from work due to my job being understaffed. My boss has been firing non-stop for the past few weeks. I've never been so exhausted in my life. The second I walk in the door, I hit the shower and go straight to my bed. No time for eating, no time for conversation. It makes sense why I haven't seen him around lately. To be honest, I barely even know if he is home or not.

After my mother kicked me out of her house, it all went downhill. I needed to start learning how to provide for myself. Fortunately for me, he swooped in and saved me. He offered me a place to stay, a deal I couldn't deny. Anyway, how could I resist? 

We went to the same high school until last year when he got accepted into his dream 'Performing Arts' high school. We used to have normal conversations in the hall and class, nothing too snazzy. Until the night when Jaeyeon, the most popular girl in school, held a party at her father's mansion. 

I, being the extrovert that I am, decided to attend her party. He told me, "Look on the bright side. I'll be there with you". Those sweet words and his eye smile convinced me. 

I had told my mother I was going to a friend's house to 'study'. It was a white lie, but she believed me because back then she thought I was all about my education.

I made a pretty lazy move by leaving my school books on my desk, in plain sight for my mother to see. Instead of my bookbag being full of books, I stuffed it with a more party-appropriate outfit. My mother was not the most lenient person. She never let me be social, because that was a distraction from my studies. (#toxicparents). 

I came home and she blew her top. I had never seen her so angry. We argued and fought for what felt like hours. That night, was the last night I stepped foot in my mother's house. 

He blamed himself since he was the one who convinced me to go with him. He thought it was his fault. He wanted to show me that he was truly sorry for 'getting me kicked out'. I told him over and over that it had nothing to do with him. I didn't have to agree to go, but I did. I didn't have to leave my books in plain sight, but I did. He never gave up though. The next thing I knew, I was living with him, in his and his brother's apartment.

.~.

As my alarm clock went off, I awoke from my 6 hours' worth of sleep. I slammed the 'off' button.

"Ugh". Another great day to look forward to.

I stretched my limbs. My morning sprawl was interrupted by a rumbled voice from the living area. "Is he up this early?" I yawned.

I walked down the hall in hopes of meeting the source of the voice. I peeked around the corner to see him sitting at the dining table, talking on the phone.

"But-". Whoever is on the other side of the phone doesn't like to let him talk. "I know but-". His voice sounds frustrated. "Okay, yes. I understand". A notification set my phone off. He turned around to see me standing there. "I'll call you later", he hung up and placed his phone slowly on the table. He sighed as he rubbed his face with the palms of his hands.