Chapter 6 ***

A/N: I know what you're thinking:

ISDJCUUREPOSAMUDDUCCIRKTMAPQIDJCJCNwhyhaven'tyouuploadedKWMDFIRIORFKVJFWLALZMCJC

Unfortunately, I've been doing my GCSE examinations for the past two months and have only just finished them. Although I love writing, my education had to come first so I essentially put updates on hold.

HOWEVER...

Now that my exams are over, updates are going to be more frequent again!

Thanks to all the lovelies who stood by this book 💜

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I stood outside the door, hands trembling.

I couldn't do this. Interrupting a meeting- it was wrong. Rude, even. Who was I, to so brashly enter an occupied room and demand that I speak with the Alpha? I was no one. The heir of an Alpha by birth, yes, but a lowly Omega by upbringing.

The soft cotton of my blouse crumpled in my clenched fists. Rosie had sized me up just minutes before, lips pursed, before retreating into her closet and reappearing with a pair of jeans and a flowing top. I'd been reluctant to try them on, but under her continual encouragement I'd pulled the top over my head, nerves tightening and squirming at the odd sensation of soft fabric against my skin.

And now, I was here.

I was stood between a dusty alcove and the door, pacing indecisively. I knew enough of the rules to know that interrupting a meeting was a punishable crime- even if the Alpha was my mate, what I was doing would be frowned upon. Did I dare?

I clucked my tongue, brows furrowing, before pressing my ear against the door. I could listen in to the conversations and, when they died down, enter without encroaching upon an active meeting.

The jarring dissonance of voices was, in the following moment, interrupted by that of my mate.

"You will accept her as your Luna, Cara. She has more right to be here than any of you."

My heart fluttered at his words. He was proud of me- that much was evident in the firmness of his tone. No one, save my late parents, had been so fond of me.

"She was an Omega, Damon. She's too ugly to be Luna, anyway- she's just stick and bone."

I decided then and there that I didn't like this Cara. Something about the lilting, nasally timbres of her voice was almost painful and it grinded on my nerves. Her words were like individual stabs to my chest, but I tried to pay them no heed. Damon would always protect me. I knew that now.

"You're right about the weight thing, but that doesn't distract from the fact that she is your rightful Luna-"

"You think I'm ugly?"

All the whispers of worry and self-preservation were at once silenced by the growls of my wolf. It was those same snarls that reverberated throughout my body, supplying my muscles with the power to carry me into the room. My arms folded across my chest and my eyes hardened like malachite.

Damon stilled. He turned to face me, stray curls falling over his eyes. It seemed, in those frozen moments of silence, that nature itself seemed to halt, catching upon the dagger of his betrayal.

"No. God no, Autumn. I just think that you're on the skinny side- and that's no fault of your own-"

Sadness flooded through me, making leaden my bones. I felt the tremble of my bottom lip and then, before I could gather into myself, the disconcerting sting of tears as they pooled in my corneas.