Chapter Sixteen

Myrtle saw Red lift an eyebrow over this and glance back over at Winnie.

An old woman sitting next to Myrtle said, "How common this is. And revolting. Aren't you so completely-"

"Shh!" said Myrtle and leaned closer in to hear the argument.

Winnie laughed at Josie's accusation. "First of all, that doesn't make any sense. Roscoe found Nandina to be a very shallow person. He was not attracted to her. In fact, he was furious at her for ... well, something she was doing. What's more, I would never have killed Roscoe. I loved him!" Her voice broke a little and she continued quickly, in a harsher tone. "Second of all, I do have an alibi for both murders. I was working a night shift at the pharmacy for both of the nights in question. They've been low on staff. Check it out. Do you have proof where you were during the murders?"

Josie bit her lip, eyes sulky.

Both women were dripping wet from the rain at this point.

"I thought not!" said Winnie, eyes blazing. "Which is why this service is such a travesty! It should be a celebration of Roscoe's life. A tender service! Why don't you take your seat and I'll take over from here. I'm giving his eulogy."

Josie looked as if she'd received a physical slap in the face. And at this point, Red did step in. "I'm afraid," he said in a quiet and polite voice, "that's not going to happen. You'll quietly stand here at the back and not cause trouble. You see, you didn't pay for this service. And you won't be allowed to disturb it any further."

Winnie opened her mouth as if to argue more, but when she saw the stubbornness on Red's face, she stopped, lowered her head, and gave a quick nod.

Miles appeared vastly relieved. He removed a pocket handkerchief and mopped his forehead with it.

The rest of the service was uneventful. Josie resumed her seat. The minister resumed his rather dry but mercifully short eulogy. There were no further outbursts. Winnie was quiet, but tearful, toward the back of the group.

Myrtle was starting to fret over the rain. If the rain continued at its current level (Cats and Dogs, with possible upgrade to Epic Flooding in the works), no one would stand around and chat. And Myrtle wasn't at all sure who was planning on going to Josie's house for a reception afterward. As a matter of fact, taking a look at Josie's still-furious face, Myrtle wondered if Josie were even entertaining the thought of entertaining.

This explains why, at the end of the service, Myrtle was one of the first people to speak with Josie. "The service was ... touching," said Myrtle, struggling to actually encapsulate the service into words. "But I wondered what your plans were now."

Josie, who'd had a tight smile on her face when Myrtle started speaking to her, gave a baffled frown. "Plans? Now? I suppose to head off to bed with a Bloody Mary or something. What a nerve-wracking day."

"What about a reception?" asked Myrtle.