Soul and Spirit

The spirit was in pain. He had never felt it on such a level before. He screamed, louder and louder, he felt like his lungs were bleeding but it made no sound, no difference. He wasn't a problem to them any more. He was being sent to die.

He lay in his coffin, buried in the earth far below a burning volcano, day after day, month after month, year after year. He could sustain himself on the earth around him, and so didn't die like they intended.

Years passed. The spirit had forgotten speech, sight, emotion. He though at first, that he was lucky not to die, but as he lay there for years on end, he knew he could never want anything more than the way he wanted death. But he was a spirit; he could not die.

The world moved on. Wars were fought, illnesses cured, space explored. Those who sentenced him were long gone. And still the spirit lay there.

They forgot about him. No one knew he existed any more. Any writings about him had been lost, decomposed or destroyed in the many tragedies the earth had witnessed since he was buried. Until they caught Satan.

Satan was anything but forgotten. He ruled over the earth with his power, invincible to the hands of the laws. He destroyed towns and cities, thriving in the joy that destruction brought to him. He bred war and anger and famine to their utmost, and released them, like show dogs in violent performances just for him. 

They sentenced him to death of course, there was barely a trial. He was to be buried alive under a burning volcano (for killing him outright would have been a sin, and they didn't sin of course). It was then that spirit first met him. The first being he had met in decades, and he was stuck in the same tomb as him. Satan was still strong, it was said he drained the power of those he killed, and those were many.

So began the imprisonment of Satan and the spirit together.

They only had each other and the lonely hours of darkness spent under the volcano belonged only to them. They grew close, closer than would have ever been possible out in the light. They were closer than lovers. They were one. Yet above ground, evil still resided over all the living. 

But soon Satan's power began to drain. Nothing existed in the ground around them, not animals, not insects, not even plants grew in this soil, the soil that reeked of death, so there was nothing to thrive on.

In vain, the spirit tried to help. Satan was dying. His breath grew raspier, his words further apart, his movements rarer. It was a year after Satan was buried when the volcano erupted. From above, it appeared as a brilliant surge of fire, throbbing with the power absorbed from the dying demon that lay below it. From below, where the spirit lay, there was a sliver of light, and he could feel the weight above him, the weight that gathered over millennia forcing itself out, releasing him from his tomb. "Come," he said to Satan, "At last we may be free. Here, I will help you leave." And as he turned to see, to finally see him for the first time, he caught Satan's soul escaping through the volcano shaft. 

He was dead.

In vain did the spirit chase after the soul, staring into the eyes of every stranger in hopes of catching a glimpse of the being he loved the most. Years he spent, searching for the soul, but he never found it. He grew old, his soul grew weak. Still, the spirit spent every second, every ounce of energy he had, looking for the soul. 

Now, it must be understood, that spirits cannot die. It is why the spirit had survived imprisonment for so long. It is why he had outlived anyone who ever did wrong by him. And it is why, subconsciously, for years now he had ignored a little voice in the back of his head. But then his selfpreservation system gave way.

He could barely hear it, the voice was so weak. But it was there, that much was unmistakable. He recognised it instantly, how could he not. The voice with which he spent the darkness with, the voice he spent his life searching for, the voice he loved.

They were closer than lovers. They were one.

Another chapter! Sorry it took so long, I had a difficult week :(. Still, I'm here now! Thoughts on the chapter? Its a bit different, so I'm especially curious to see what you think! xx Kat