Chapter Twelve

July 18, 2000

Benjamin's POV
"Is your stomach still upset?" I asked, softly, after sitting on the edge of Maxwell's bed with a small cup of ice chips.

"No, just my ankle." He whispered, rubbing his stomach. "Are they coming to check the baby again?" He asked and I nodded, eating a little handful of the ice chips.

"Just another ultrasound before we leave, just to make sure that nothing changed with her overnight." I explained then the door opened and I looked over to find John doubled over and panting. "Oh, and I called your dad." I whispered, looking over at the older man.

John rushed over to the bedside and he just looked at his son- not knowing exactly what to do about the situation or if his granddaughter was actually okay. It hurt me seeing the pain in his eyes, he looked exhausted and I felt terrible about him having to drive from London into the countryside.

"Is the baby okay? What-what happened to you?!" He asked, completely panicked while he held Maxwell's hand.

"I tripped on a tree root on the way down to the beach, at the cabin. I, uh, I landed on my hip but twisted my ankle... Frieda is fine. They're just keeping us here to watch her, to make sure that nothing changes overnight and stuff. We have another ultrasound in a little while then we're going to get to go home." Max explained, continuing to rub his stomach while he talked. "Where's Jillian?" He asked, quietly.

"With the kids and Frank, at home." John murmured after sitting on the side of the bed opposite to me. "Ben, are you two getting things packed up when you get home?" He asked and I nodded, holding Max's hand then rubbing over it with my thumb. "Do you guys just want to come and stay with us? You're going to be moving in in a few days anyways, but why don't you just stay with us while you pack? It'll alleviate the stress a little bit." He raised an eyebrow at the both of us and Max just looked at me.

"I-I think we should have a few more days at our place, alone, Dad... I-I... we're going to be moving back home on the twenty-fifth, barely even a week." My husband told him, softly, and I nodded in agreement. "Don't worry about us... we won't let stress get the best of us, especially with the baby." He patted his belly and John laughed, softly.

John stayed quiet and he nodded. He understood that he needed to give us some space but he still knew that Maxwell loved him more than anything- he loved being with his Dad.

"Who's this, Maxwell?" The doctor asked after walking into the room- smiling while he dragged the portable ultrasound along.

"My dad." Maxwell whispered, proudly, then John and I got off of the bed. "He was just worried about the baby and stuff. He wanted to make sure that she was okay." He explained, softly, then the hospital blanket was pulled up to his hips and the gown was lifted over his belly.

Max got the spiel that it would be cold on his stomach and he just stared at me the entire time.

"I haven't seen her on the screen yet." John muttered, leaning against the wall. "Has she moved on screen for you two before?" He asked and Max shook his head.

"She's moving right now, just wiggling, but we haven't seen her move on the screen yet." Max explained and the doctor waited until the two were finished talking before putting the gel on his stomach- I didn't know why he had to wait, but he did.

"Okay, here we go." The middle aged man breathed then he put the gel on Maxwell's stomach and I held his hand, smiling when our little girl popped up onto the screen.

John moved to lean against the bed, holding onto the railing, and he smiled when the baby showed up, her little body wiggling and her hand moving so she could suck on her thumb- we had a lot of sonogram photos with her sucking her thumb. I chuckled, softly, at her moving her hand to her mouth then the doctor took a few photos for us.