Chapter Five.

Admitting that I was wrong wasn't something I enjoyed.

Truthfully, I still didn't think I was completely in the wrong in my argument with Josh, but I needed to iron out the wrinkles in our friendship before I even considered taking the next step with him. Ella and I decided to keep everything between the two of us. Ryan, Max, and Iss would know nothing of the ordeal, and Josh would know nothing of Ella knowing of the ordeal, to avoid confrontation or his big mouth blabbing something, like usual. Ella told me she would distract Max, a task I'm certain she wasn't too upset about, so Josh and I could have a private chat in their dorm.

I nervously hesitated in front of the door, gathering my thoughts. It was funny how one conversation with his sister made me realize how we felt about each other, because if she hadn't, I would have just barged into the room. Instead, I lifted my trembling hand to knock on the wood, making a smaller sound than I'd anticipated. I hoped he'd heard it, because I wasn't up for the pressure of a second knock. I could hear his socked feet hit the floor and shuffle to the door, though. By the hesitation between the last footstep and the gentle creak of the opening door, I knew he had stared at me through the peephole for a little while, probably contemplating whether he should answer or shout obscenities at me.

"Arianne," he said coldly, though by his use of my nickname, I knew there had to be some fondness to the statement.

"Can I come in? I think we need to have a chat," I asked in a small voice. Josh shrugged, then nodded and let me into the room. I sat on Max's bunk as usual, and he sat on his own, giving me a look that told me to continue on. "I'm sorry about this morning. I was confused and weirded out by the whole situation, then Matt started flirting, and I was just a little stressed. I shouldn't have snapped at you."

Josh's facial features softened. "No, Lola, I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions. I was a little on edge about what happened this morning too, I guess. I really am sorry if you thought I'd taken advantage of you while you were drunk."

I almost chuckled. "That's not entirely what I was confused about, but thanks."

"Yeah," Josh muttered, "I guess it wasn't just the bedroom situation that had me on edge, either. Can I be honest with you?"

I nodded with concerned eyes and ushered him to go on. "I, uh... I was jealous."

Somehow the statement shocked me. "Jealous of?"

"Matt and the fact that he had all your attention by being such a charming bastard," he grumbled. "It's kind of weird. I was talking to Elissa the other day and she made me realize something."

I took a sharp breath in. "Funny, Liss made me realize something yesterday too."

Josh's blue eyes were glittering with confusion. "Well, um, she was talking to me about you and how much she likes you, and all of a sudden I realized... I like you too. But not in the same way my sister does. I just, uh, like you like you."

I gasped slightly. Thinking the words and hearing them were two completely different things. I felt a feeling in the pit of my stomach that I'd never really felt before. It was kind of warm and kind of tickly and all kinds of weird. Before I knew it, Josh and I were standing face-to-face between the beds. He was awaiting a reply, and I was awaiting the words that seemed to be failing me.

"I was talking to her after the gig yesterday, when you were on the phone with Matt, and she made me realize the exact same thing, actually." I hesitated to look up at Josh, but his hand brought my chin up to do so. He had a tiny smile on his face, which relaxed me into a grin.

"So, um," Josh began awkwardly, "What are we going to do about Max?"

"I won't tell if you don't tell," I promised, just wanting to cut the small talk and throw my arms around him.

"Deal," he mumbled, wrapping me in his tight embrace and pressing his lips to the top of my messy head. We pulled apart slightly and shared a warm peck on the lips before Josh admitted, "This is weird."

I burst into a fit of airy laughter. "It is. Who'd have thought, eleven years later, I'd be kissing the boy who still wet his bed at age six?"

He playfully punched my shoulder then cupped it in his large hand, running his thumb gently up and down the side of my arm. "It gets less weird, right? I mean, shit, I'd still date the hell out of you if we couldn't kiss, but... it'd be hard, y'know?"

We smiled at each other and shared another kiss that was decidedly less weird.