Being Invisible Isn't Bad

Chapter 1

I am practically invisible. Most of the time, no one even knows that I am there. I have been at Greenwood Elementary since Kindergarten, and now I am in 6th grade, going into a new school, and no one bothers to see me. Or should I say, care about me or care to find me. I am a nobody. I mean, I am somebody, but I just get too scared to have the oomph to be next to other people. One day, that all changed.

It's officially the start of 6th grade now, and I am standing outside my first classroom period, ELA, waiting for my teacher to let me in. My mom is standing off to the side, taking pictures like moms always do on the first day of middle school. Everyone seems like they feel at home and like all their friends are there with them since they were toddlers. All the 5th graders from my school district went to Greenwood then transferred here, to Curfire Middle School. 

My teacher, Mrs. Amistu, came out and greeted everyone, as if she was one of the princesses in Disneyland. Happy and always smiling, along with giving handshakes to everyone. Mrs. Amistu had a short sleeved shirt that said I Heart NY. Her pants were green and camouflage. Her outfit wasn't very suiting, but it was a little welcoming, along with her hair in a messy bun and glasses. She let everyone trickle into the class until she said, " Hello everyone. My name is Mrs. Amistu. You are in first period English Language Arts, and now, everyone, take out your textbooks and turn to page 4. Page 4 had a picture of a chart showing the advancement of a plant's growth. I sighed. Here we go again. 

After a while, there was a girl who ran up to the teacher and said, "What...is...a...Venn...DIAGRAM!!!!!!!!!! There was something wrong with the girl. I couldn't tell what was, but she had no idea what a Venn Diagram was. Everyone in 7th grade knew what that was, but I guess she didn't. As she was still hyperventilating, her curly pigtails bopped up and down, and up and down. 

It's finally lunch, my favorite part of the day. I love to sit in some corner I find and sit in solitude and peace. I mean, no one bothers to come to me anyways. 

All of a sudden, the girl loomed up above me and said, "You...have...a...tuna...sandwich." She emphasized every word she spoke and made sure I understood. Irritated, I said, "Will you please get off of being over me?" She backed away and stuck out her hand. "Hi. I'm Polly. Technically, my name is Rebecca, but everyone calls me Polly because I can't understand anything, which I guess isn't really a reason, but I am dyslexic, and I can't read much, but I guess people just call me Polly. Well, what's your name?"

I shrugged her off and continued once more to eating my sandwich. She groaned and walked away. I got up and walked to the trash can thinking, was she my friend? Or was she my enemy?