Fateful Meeting with a Princess

At least try and make yourselves less conspicuous.

Right in front of our designated meeting spot, a fully-outfitted butler waited alongside with a snobby-looking teenager. 

The girl was carrying a Louis Vuitton designer hand purse, fully immersed in her phone. She had dark black hair, tied together into cute twintails and finished with a pair of red ribbons. She was wearing a white crop top with a short-black pleated skirt, matched with a choker. Several passersby were eyeing the duo warily, wondering if this is some sort of cosplay.

I sighed, questioning myself at what I signed up for.

"Nice to see you again, Grandmaster Nova," The butler bowed courteously.

I was surprised, to think that Amniel remembered our wager from losing a game against me in the past. 

The bet? He has to call me Grandmaster whenever he sees me. "Sup Amniel, last time I saw you, you still had black hair. Man! Times sure flew by, so what should I do?"

"It's been years since our last meeting. I am but an old man now." Amniel smiled warmly. "You will be taking care of our Miss," Amniel signaled the girl to greet me, but she remained focused on her phone, purposely refusing to even say a simple hi. Amniel said with a defeat expression, "I do apologize on her behalf."

"No worries man," I shrugged, "Kids will be kids. Anyways so how is this going to work out?"

"Our Miss is currently 14 right now," I examined her, to think that someone this physically well-developed is only a youth. If she properly dressed up, she can at least pass for a young adult and sneak into R-rated movies. "Mister Damien and Lady Anna request for you to raise her until she is of legal age."

"5 years eh?" I visualized my future, spending the next half of a decade of living and taking care of a teenager. I shivered at that thought. "Scary."

"Regarding compensation, I will send you a stipend each month," Amniel said as he handed me a check, "This is the first one and will this amount be enough?"

"Wow, that much?" My eyes falling in love with the quadruple numbers on that check.

"Yes, Mister Damien and Lady Anna both insisted," Amniel placed it into my hand in which I thank him gratefully. "They had wanted to give you way more but any more than this amount would raise suspicion from the government. And it would be wise to avoid that."

"Got it! How about school?"

"We'll take care of everything regarding transferring," Amniel handed me a notebook. "Everything related to her education is in there. It starts this Monday. I suggest you go with her on the first day to talk to the principal. I'll arrange for a meeting."

Right now it's Saturday so two more days until school starts. Just enough time to buy some supplies for the little princess tomorrow.

"Also, her belongings will be sent to your place in a couple of days."

"Yo yo yo," I held up my hand, giving him a dismayed look. "You been at my place before Amniel, it's already plenty packed as it is. Don't give me any more unnecessary stuff."

The girl raises her brow at what I said, apparently to be listening to our conversation.

"I will personally make sure it is the necessary stuff," Amniel reassured and then handed me a note, "You can contact me at this number, I will be available if any problem arises."

I added the digit into my phone, "Alright." Then I leaned into Amniel's ear and whispered softly: "For Damien and Anna, were their death perhaps... family-related?"

Amniel nodded then replied back lightly, "Possibly, that is why I have to remain behind and investigate."

I sighed, "You and your nobility family problems. Always getting into so many troubles." Then I gave Amniel a decisive look in the eye, "You hang in there too okay? Grandmaster Nova won't let you down."

"Thank you very much! Hearing you say that makes me feel reassured."

"Now one last question."

"Yes, Grandmaster Nova?"

"Regarding parenting, I can do anything I please as long as I raise her to be a competent independent lady, right?" 

Amniel notices my serious expression and tone. "That is correct, in fact, Mister Damien and Lady Anna specifically said that if it's you, then quote "just let him do his thing, he'll make it work". It appears that they fully trust in your ability and I trust in them to have such confidence in you."

"Of course! Back in the days, I did practically raise those two kiddos myself too," I chuckled, then shook his hand firmly to seal the deal. "Just text me if you need me. You know where I am at."

"Miss, you'll be in Grandmaster Nova's care now." Amniel turned towards the girl, a mixed expression of sadness and frustration written all over her face.

"No!" She exclaimed, not wanting to accept her future. "I want to stay with you Amniel. Don't leave me please."

"I'm sorry Miss, but I can't do that."

"Why not?"

"I have to manage the estate, business, financial and family affairs as well as prepare for your schooling and transfer... I assure you that Grandmaster Nova will—"

"No!" The girl shouted bitterly, shaking her head in denial. "I DON'T want to leave you! You are the only family I have left."

The two bickered back and forth as I facepalmed myself. Is this some sort of live drama show? A few people nearby began to stare at them, wondering if they should intervene. 

If I don't do something soon someone will probably call the police. These rich people and their lack of social awareness.

"Look," I interrupted and faced the girl, "Don't make this any harder for Amniel." She looked at me in surprise and was about to argue, but I pointed my head towards the butler, who is trying hard to maintain his composure. It is obvious that he doesn't want to leave her too, but he has no choice.

After a long pause, the girl finally decided after a long sigh. "Fine... Amniel, you better stay in contact with me okay? Or else I will be very angry! And you won't hear the end of me. Got that?!" She pointed directly at his former butler.

"I will, miss. I promise."