Towers // George Shelley & Union J

Towers

Chapter One: New Encounters

Growing up I always looked at life optimistically. I mean, how else would a little girl in a light pink dress dream about her future? There were so many elements that led me to believe in a bright future but I never took any obstacles into account.

Of course, like no other I was offered opportunities to excel in life but to this day I continued to turn them down, for now anyway. There were too many things holding me back, my world was caving in and there was nothing I could do about it. I couldn't be selfish.

Of course I was ambitious enough to want to go to college, school was never a problem for me academically but more so socially, nobody enjoyed sitting with the girl who smoked too much and read through endless piles of books.

I wasn't your average teenager that groaned in harmony with the raging alarm clock at six o'clock in the morning - instead I just got up and dealt with the side effects of going to sleep late. Sure, I didn't spring out of bed with a smile on my face but like I said, getting up early didn't bother me.

My mother constantly reminded me that I was a mixture of 'good and bad' as she would say. I wasn't your typical nerd but I wasn't the type to stay out all night and forget what happened the following morning.

With a soft thud I silence my alarm clock before I pull my body out of the safe comfort of my single bed and walk out of my room, I turn on the ball of my feet and enter my little sisters room where she was soundly asleep in her bed.

I hated waking her up only to send her out into this cruel world, but maybe with my protection she would be fine. Maybe her childhood would be fulfilled in a way I dreamt mine would be.

With a slight shake and a gentle pull of the duvet cover she began to stir, moments pass before her eyelids began to flutter open to reveal her chocolate brown eyes, much like my own.

Gently I pick her up and hoist her small body on my side as I made her bed before I sat her back down. A yawn escaped her small mouth as I put a change of clothes beside her on the bed.

"Bee are we going to see mommy today?" She mumbles as she slowly began to wake up.

It was the finally day of the short weekend; Sunday. I promised Amber that I would bring her to see our mother every weekend when I wasn't working or studying and today seemed to be the day that I wasn't doing either.

"Of course we are, but remember we have to go shopping first." I remind her.

Every Sunday for me was the same, it felt as if what I did was written in stone. 'Wake my sister up, go to the shops, visit mother and return home.' It was good to have things that way - I wasn't fond of change.

I exit her room as she changes and trot down to the bathroom where I begin to get ready for the usual day ahead of me.

The hot water that pores from above me loosens every muscle in my body, encouraging me to relax as I lather the shampoo through my hair. I lazily pull a razor over the stubble on my legs, before I wrap a towel around my body.

I glance out the bathroom window only to see full clouds full of moisture, waiting to exhale the rain. Another regular day here in London. It'd be nice to have one sunny day once in a while...

I threw on my maroon band shirt, black skinny jeans, my black boots and not to mention my beloved black leather jacket with enough time to put on a bit of make up.

"Bee! Where are you?"

"In the hallway, are you ready?" I reply as I shove a packet of cigarettes and my phone into my bag.