Chapter One

Smokekit glared over at Skykit from across the clearing. Her attention was shifted, however, when the leader stepped up onto the high rock.

"Smokekit and Skykit have each reached the age of six moons, and will now become apprentices. Skykit, step forward."

The small trembling she-kit did, tail flicking nervously. Smokekit rolled her eyes.

"Skykit, from this moment forward, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Skypaw. Your mentor will be Lilydash."

Skypaw bounded over to Lilydash and the two touched noses.

"Smokekit."

She stepped forward, head held high and chest puffed out.

"From this moment on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Smokepaw. Your mentor will be Crimsonsun."

Smokepaw turned to face her mentor and walked towards him. The two touched noses, and Smokepaw sat down next to him.

"Skypaw! Smokepaw! Skypaw! Smokepaw!"

Cheers filled the hollow and Smokepaw sat up even straighter.

Crimsonsun nodded towards the entrance and the two slipped out of camp and into the unknown... for Smokepaw, anyway.

"We'll tour the territory then come back to camp for fresh kill, okay?"

Smokepaw nodded. Why was Crimsonsun asking if it were okay with her?

Crimsonsun took off and Smokepaw, startled, followed. Mentor and apprentice raced through the territory.

Suddenly Crimsonsun skidded to a halt, and Smokepaw tripped and tumbled down a hill. She heard her name get called as she kept rolling.

At the bottom she flopped to the ground, everything aching. She looked up and saw some warriors she'd never seen before.

Crimsonsun appeared behind her. "I'm so sorry about this!" He exclaimed. "I stopped too suddenly for her."

Smokepaw growled and flattened her ears.

The warriors purred with amusement. "Is she okay?"

"I'm fine!" Smokepaw snapped. She stood and shook herself, getting dirt everywhere.

"Those are DawnClan warriors," Crimsonsun explained.

The leader of the patrol smiled, eyes closed. "I'm Deerwaters!"

The other cats introduced themselves. Smokepaw tuned it out until the end. "I'm Smokepaw," she said. "I became an apprentice today."

She found herself relaxing around the DawnClan cats. Did they have this sort of effect on everyone?

One of the other cats, Ebonyflower, kept sniffing the air. She had pale golden eyes and a dark grey (almost black!) pelt.

"Why does she keep sniffing? Is she sick?" Smokepaw whispered to her mentor.

Crimsonsun purred. "No, she just can't see so she uses her other senses to get around."

Smokepaw's eyes widened with curiosity. "Ebonyflower?"

The she-cat jerked her head around to look at Smokepaw. "Yeah?"

"What's it like being blind?"

Ebonyflower tilted her head with amusement. "Close your eyes. It's pretty dark, isn't it? That's what it's like for me all the time."

Smokepaw did as she was told, and nodded, opening her eyes again. "Is it weird?"

"Nope! I was born like this, so I've always had stronger smelling and hearing. That's why I keep sniffing the air."