Chapter 3

*Tyler's point of view*

She was amazing. I wanted to leap onto the stage, shout and scream, cry of joy. But I knew I couldn't. We were just friends, but-

"Thank you, Sapphire. That was amazing," the MC commented, interrupting my thoughts. "Next, we have Ivy Foster and she will be playing Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E Minor, Op. 64: 1. Allegro molto appassionato." I watched the slender girl walk on stage, poised confidently in front of the audience on the large stage. 

As she played the first few notes, I noticed that she didn't play with such passion as Sapphire had, simply playing the notes without emotion, whereas Sapphire had really brought out the best of the music, and you could feel her passion for the music. I felt hopeful. Perhaps Sapphire could really win...

[about an hour later]

"Thank you all competitors and audience for attending the Yehudi Menuhin International Competition for Young Violinists 2016. The winner and first and second- runner ups will be contacted via email, as well as a telephone call. Hope you have a nice day!" the MC announces through the microphone he carried in his hand. 

An ear-piercing shriek ran around the room from the mic. The audience winced.

"Let's go!" I called to Sapphire, amidst the noise of the audience.

"Wait... I have to get my stuff from backstage," she tells me. 

I nod impatiently and follow her into the grand, lush white rooms with mirrors, makeup and hair stylists and various beauty products. 

I look around, trying to count all the powders and products on the tables. Sapphire grabs her backpack and puts away her violin, loosening her bow and taking off the shoulder rest, zipping up the long, elegant case. 

"Okay, where to now?" she asks me. 

"Do you want to go to Dream Cream?" I respond. 

Dream Cream is an ice cream stall just outside the mall, with great unique flavours like sesame, yuzu and pomelo, and the classic vanilla, chocolate and cookies n cream. There are seats at the park outside the little booth, a perfect place to relax in the boiling summer. 

"Mmm, I'm kind of on a diet right now... I shouldn't be eating things like ice cream," she says wistfully. 

"Come on, we need to celebrate your success! It's just a little bit of ice cream..." I say, managing to persuade her. 

We burst out of the auditorium doors into the cheerful sunlight, just like in the movies.