Travel/LA/Medellin Cartels/Happy Birthday

Yesi's Pov

*******February 25, 2016

@yesilehder:✈

comments:

2.1 million likes and 899.5k comments!

4.1m Followers, 395 Following, 1995 Posts

Yesi's Pov

*******Los Angles, California, USA (The following day)

@yesilehder: 90210

comments:

3 million likes and 788.6k comments!

4.1m Followers, 395 Following,

Unknown's Pov

The Medellín Cartel was a highly organized and much-feared Colombian drug cartel originating in the city of Medellín, Colombia.

Back in the 1970s, Colombia was in a period of relative stability after decades of political violence and upheaval. And there was a fortune to be made in selling cocaine to Americans, especially if you could control every level of the business - flying coca base in from Bolivia, processing the stuff in Colombia and retailing it directly to the US consumer. That's where the Medellin Cartel came into their own from 1976 to 1993. Highly organized and viciously ruthless, they built an empire that, at its peak, made more than $60 million a day.

With so much at stake, violence became one of the key weapons in the Medellin Cartel's political arsenal. It's estimated they murdered at least 110,000 people during their reign. The majority of these killings were the result of bombings - of flights, cars, buildings and buses - but also included the executions of more than 5000 police, as well as anyone they suspected of subversive (i.e. Communist) or anti-Colombian tendencies.

At the height of its operations, the Medellín Cartel smuggled tons of cocaine each week into countries all over the world and brought in up to 60 million dollars daily in drug profits. For a time, the Medellín Cartel supplied at least 70% of the United States cocaine market.