Chapter 1

I get out of bed our matron is screaming,oh for goodness sake why should we still do this, I'm nineteen!!

I put my shoes on and tip-tap my way to join a long line of girls arranged by age,the Matron gets to me and pulls me up in front.

I wonder what I've  wrong then I realize my hair is a crazy mess, my hair is the frizzy type curly and bushy it fits my features perfectly,it crops my almond face and eyes and the deep brown almost black colour of my hair brings out my tan skin and full beige-pinkish lips,anyway when I sleep it pulls up at one side and the other side becomes really flat from my tossing and turning and now that's how I'm standing in front of about a hundred girls from just this floor and I totally forgot to pull on my hat.

I hear snickers from other girls and the matron glares at them and says

“I see you are asking permission to scrub the bathrooms well today's your lucky day, permission granted you will start when I dismiss you and end at midnight”

the girls snickers turned into moans

"Are you asking for toilet duty as well? ”

they shut up immediately then the Matron turned to me

“I can see Miss Blaine chose to go for an effortless look"

I had tried to smooth my hair down but that just back fired,the other side became equally frizzy,

“Well its obvious you will be seeing the barber”

I shuddered at the thought,the last girl that went came out almost bald, I was pulled from my thoughts by the Matron's booming voice

“You are dismissed”

girls started shuffling all over we were going back to our rooms,I constantly got giggles from the younger girls but I ignored I got to my room and shut the door and lay on the bed staring up at my picture I posted on the bottom of my bunk, it had a picture of my Mom holding me when I was a child

She wore a necklace with a huge M on it maybe that's why they decided to call me Melanie, Blaine is not my real name its a name I got from the orphanage, I had been here since I was a Baby and survived under the cruel care of the Matrons and I looked back at the picture and realized something,my features all resemble my Mum's she had frizzy hair almond face and eyes full pink lips and a skin tone slightly darker than mine she looked amazing as she smiled down at me,she gave me the necklace she wore for me to remember to come out and look for her one day,I will leave this orphanage and I hope it will be soon.