Chapter 4: Old Wounds

Ever since Haymith and Mercers conversation, which is putting it lightly, no one really talks at the table. Sadly it didn't stop after Haymith and Mercer sat down because I finally got up the nerve to speak and imediatly regretted it.

"I lost my family," I say in a shakey voice.

"What did you just say?" Haymitch looks up at me to repeat but I know he heard me.

"I said I lost my family! My parents fled in the middle of the night and left me. I don't know if where they are or if they're even still alive," I choke out the words and can feel the tears build up in my eyes from recalling the hurt I felt, feel. I woke one morning and they were gone, no goodbye just a note. It said they are sorry and that they love me. I can't help but wonder that if they loved me why they didn't take me with them. "All I had left is my cousin and now I don't even have her anymore,".

"Well I have news for you your Highness, so did I! You think you're the only person who lost their family? You're not! I lost my family too, but I was lucky enough to find a new one. Now both of you go back to your rooms,". I'm shocked by Haymitch's confession. He's really been hurt and I can't help but wonder what happen. I started heading to my room but stop in the door way.

"I'm sorry," I tell Haymitch hoping he'll hear the sincerity in it because I really am sorry. We both opened up fresh wounds that night and it hurts.

        Mercer and I haven't really talked to Haymitch since then, only over stradegy. DJ tries to make small conversation over "safe" topics, like the games, but the conversation never holds. Today is our private training session with the victors and the traitor. I have no idea what I will do for them but I know I have to get a good score to get sponsors. I now I'm going to throw some spears but I can't do that the entire time. I would tie some knots I learned but last time I messed up a nail and that can not happen again. Now we're all just sitting here in the cafateria waiting for our names to be called. I'm sitting next to Shasta and to my surprise Mercer. I don't know why I find it surprising but I ignore it because I like having him next to me.

        Names are called and the cafateria begins to empty and I begin to get nervous as we get closer to my name. I still don't know what I'm going to do for the victors, I can't just throw a spear the whole time! How impressive I can throw a spear. Looks like I'll just die of starvation! I need to get sponsors! Suddenly I freeze because I feel heat above my knee. I look down to see a hand, attached to an arm, attached to a very attractive blue-eyed boy.

"You alright?" Mercer ask.

"Yes, I'm fine, just thinking," I tell him letting his touch calm me.

"You'll be fine," Mercer tells me in a calm voice. "Calm down, breathe," he pulls me into a hug and I rest my head on his shoulder. We sit for a while and I calm down.

"Mercer Raposa," the speaker booms out and Mercer gets up. I hold loosely to Mercers hand as he walks away.

"Good luck," I stop him and smile.

"Thank you, you too," Mercer returns the smile with a nod and I feel my heart skip. I really wish I could meet his parents so I could say "thank you for having wonderful genes and making something so yummy". I hear Mercer laugh.

"What's so funny?" I shout after him.

"You are Rania," my face goes white as a ghost. Did I just say that out loud? "I'll see you at dinner, I'm sure the food will be yummy," he says with a wink. I'm mortified, I can not believe I jst said that out loud! He's never going to let that go! This couldn't get worse.

"Rania Snow," I get up and walk into the training room. I look around, there's no evidence of what Mercer showed them. I look up at the victors, they're watching me and I feel a little nervous. I just take a deep breathe and head over to the spears. I pick one up and throw, it hits the dummy right in the chest. I look up at the victors, they all seem a little put back. Haymitch has his glass frozen mid-drink, I smirk knowing he's stunned.