Chapter 8: Tears, Pain, and Mercer

Hello my lovely readers!

I want to give a shout out to Dragonflymagic101! I've been reading her story "District 3" and it's great! It's an amazing story and follows a strong, young protagonist as she is sent into the 100th Annual Hunger Games, the 4th Quarter Quell. 

So go check it out! Again it's called "District 3" by dragonflymagic101.

Thanks and back to the story!

******************************************************************************************************************

"Put me down! Please put me down," Shasta gets out between sobs.

        Mercer's been caring Shasta so we could put space between us and Hawkers body so the hovercraft could pick it up.  Shasta was in to much pain to move on her own.  We haven't made it that far but I guess any kind of movement hurts for her, Hawker hit her pretty hard.  

"Please, my ribs hurt.  I just want to lay down," she begs us.

"I'm sorry Shasta, I really am," I turn to Mercer, "Let's find a spot to make camp?".

"Good idea.  Just hang on a bit longer Shasta then we can help you," Mercer says softly.  He's trying to take her attention away from the pain, I can tell.  He's so good.  

"Here, set her down here," I tell him.  He carefully sets Shasta in the mud and leans her against the roots of a tree.  I kneel down next to her, "Did the pain go away?".

"No but I'm fine," I try and stifle a laugh.

"What's so funny?" she says with a painful smile.

"Nothing, none of this is funny," I give her a weak smile.  "I was laughing because of how you're trying to hide the pain.  I know you better then anyone else, you can't lie to me.  Well besides your dad, he knows you better then I do," suddenly her eyes become the size of dessert dishes.

"Oh no... my dad, my family they're probably a wreck right now!" she exclaims.  She tilts her head up and looks at the sky, "Mom, Dad, Augustus, I'm fine.  Please don't worry about me,".

"Shasta..." I'm cut off by her going up in a fit of violent coughs.  She covers her mouth with her hand and continues to cough.  Shasta places her hand in her lap and uses the other one to cradle her ribs.  My eyes fall and land on the hand in her lap.  Her light palm is speckled with crimson dots.  "Shasta is that..."

She follows my gaze to her hand and a horrified look appears on her face, "blood," she gulps.

"Mercer," I call out and he comes up beside me.

Shasta holds up her hand to him, "That is not good," he says.

"Well no one worry," mean while I'm freaking out on the inside.  "Katniss is probably working on getting help from sponsors now.  We just have to wait," I give her the best reassuring smile I can.

"Rania's right," Mercer agrees.  Shasta takes a deep breathe and winces in pain.  "Let's just hope help gets here soon,".  

"Ok.  Should we take a look at the damage?" I ask softly.  Shasta nods in agreement.  I undo the latches at her shoulders and pull the rubber suit down to her waist.  I slowly lift the under shirt up and off her.  She has a swollen, green and purple bruise going up her left ribs and reaching around her back, stomach, and shoulder.  I wish I could take some pain from her.

"Yikes, that is hideous," Mercer pipes in.

"Mercer," I hiss at him.  I take a closer look at her and notice that the two bottom ribs seem contorted and out of place.  "I think those bottom ribs are broken,".