The Vacation

The Vacation

Song for this chapter- Where Does The Good Go- Tegan and Sara

Kellar's POV:

"Kellar and Ashton!"

"Coming!"

I reluctantly set my book down, bookmarking the page I was at.

"We are having a family meeting." I sighed and Harry and Lauren whined. Family meetings never went well. The last few that we'd had over the past few years sent me to therapy after dad, Ashton away for the summer, and Lauren to private school.

"Don't do that, just listen." My mom folded her hands together and stood tall. A flowy dress hung off her small frame, and her long blonde hair was pulled into a braid.

"We're going on a vacation."

"Yay!" I looked down at Harry as he jumped up, yelling about a trip.

"Settle down, guys. Let me finish." My mom cleared her throat and looked at Ashton and I, "No more of this fighting, alright? I will not tolerate it. Do you understand? Now, Kellar, you can bring Jade, and Ashton, feel free to bring the boys. If they do come, you'll need a separate vehicle because I can't fit them all in my car. This can happen, if and only if, you two check your attitudes at the door and start acting like you used to. Alright? I rented a beach house on the ocean, big enough from everyone. It's six hours away. Now, go. Start packing. We leave tomorrow morning. I've already cleared it with everyone's parents so don't worry about that." I sat staring wide eyed at my mom, absorbing everything she said.

"Thank you so much, mom. I love you." I threw my arms around her and hugged her, kissing her cheek.

"It's a well deserved break."

***

I sat on top of my suitcase, trying desperately to bring the zipper all the way around the stuffed thing.

Just then my phone rang and I huffed out a breath of air, pulling it out of my pocket, not bothering to look at the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"So, a beach house on the ocean?"

My head shot up, recognizing the deep voice, my hair falling from its bun.

"Hi, Michael."

"Hey, Kellar."

"Since when do you call me? I've always thought of you as a texter." I asked, still trying to wrangle my suitcase.

"I began calling when I found out I had a beautiful girl with a beautiful voice to answer my calls. What are you doing? You sound out of breath." He laughed, the sweet sound carrying through the speaker.

"Running a marathon."

"That's funny because we both know running isn't your thing."

"Okay, you got me. I'm trying to close my suitcase." I said, finally getting the darn thing closed.

"You must be really out of shape if you're breathing that heavy just from closing a suitcase." He teased, and I felt my cheeks hear up.

"One time I won a pizza eating contest. It was awesome. I puked for three days."

"Why do I find that extremely attractive?"

"Go to bed, Michael Gordon."

"Alright, Kellar Jo."

I waited a few seconds, still hearing him breathe from the other end.

"Why aren't you hanging up?" I asked.

"Sorry it's just 11:30 at night and I'm really bored and not tired and I don't want to stop talking to you because I like the way we tease each other."

"You're cute when you're embarrassed." I smiled, lying down on my back on my bed.

"Who said I was embarrassed?"

"Michael, honey, I can practically see your blush through the speaker."

"You called me honey."

"What? No I didn't."

"Does this mean I can call you baby?"

"No, don't call me baby."

"Then baby it is."

"Oh god, Michael."

"I know, baby, life's tough, get a helmet."

***

Michael and I stayed on the phone until 1:15 when I fell asleep on him. He texted me, saying he called dibs on sitting next to me in the car.

So that's how I found myself stuck between a very upbeat Calum, and a very sleepy Michael on a six hour drive at 4:00 in the morning.

"Why are you guys so tired?" Calum asked, laughing at how my head was on Michael's shoulder and he was leaning his head on mine.

"Because they got two and a half hours of sleep, Cal. Let them rest." Luke said, sliding into the bench in front of us in the car.

"Okie dokie, love birds. Sleep tight." Calum said, grinning at us. I sent a lazy smile at him, and closed my eyes, finally letting sleep overtake me.

***

I know I'm sorry it's short again but the next chapter I'm really excited for and it'll be longer I promise