An unexpected cruise

Staring at my breakfast, at 7:30 am, hoping that I'll survive another day of poisonous boredom , I was hopelessly checking my emails on my phone, under the constant nagging of my mother.

"Leave that phone and eat your breakfast, she said while drinking her coffee. You are spending more time on it than with your friends, and that's not normal.

"But I am communicating with them trough my phone, so technically, I am spending time with them".

"Just eat your breakfast".

We may fight a lot, but I adore my mum. She makes it her full time job to look after me, drive me wherever I want... And she was right. I was spending way too many time on my phone. It's just that these days I was feeling lonely, and the irony resides in the fact that despite all my connections with so many people with my phone, laptop and ipad, I was feeling cut from the world. I was an only child, living in the very calm and peaceful city of indianapolis, where nothing ever happens.

As I was scrolling my inbox, I saw this new and mysterious email from a corporation which I never heard of. So I opened the email and a very interesting message was written:

                  "CONGRATULATIONS

We are very pleased to announce that you are the lucky winner of an all expenses paid 7 days cruise on the blue seas. Please call the number below for more informations"

"Oh my god", I said.

"What? "

I showed the email to my mother who was certain that it was a prank. Was is too good to be true?

"At least lets call, I begged. What do we have to lose? "

It was summer, probably the hottest indianapolis has ever witnessed. And going on a cruise was the highlight af my year.

"Fine".

So my mum dialed the number. Meanwhile, I was crossing my fingers, hoping that it's not a prank.

"Hello. I'm calling because I received a message that says that I won an all expenses paid 7 days cruise "

"Oh yes. That's right. I'll be happy to explain the details".

And after 10 minutes that seemed like an infinity,  my mum showed up with a smile on her face.

"So?", I asked.

"Well it's not a prank"

"Told you"

"But I have some bad news"

"What?"

" Well apparently,  it's for only one person"

" What's the bad news? "

And my mum stared at me like I just said the baddest word there is.

" Do uou really think that I'll let you go on a cruise all on your own for 7 days? You're 16. So never going to happen. End of discussion.  "

"We haven't even discussed yet. Oh that's fair. Mum you said it : I'm 16. It's time to be on my own, to learn from my mistakes.  I've always been responsible, I never let you down. Please?"

"I'll think about it", she said after a long silence.