Chapter 1

And that's how we are created. People of the sun, honey & chocolate kissed skin, Nappy roots and the bloodlines of True Kings and Queens my mama always told me. But who am I? I'm Kiara and everyone is always telling me to love all of myself. Yea, I might not be all the way black but I do represent the black community. I've grown up and recognized that part of myself, my identity . My dad is Indian, and he was never there to show me that side of my culture. And that has made me bitter because I can't love something or someone that was never there for me.

"Kiara, Are you paying attention?", Prof.Blair called out. All 50 students turned and looked at me.

"Yes sir-", I picked up my pencil and pretended to write down something plausible.

"See me after class young lady",

I knew what he wanted to talk about, my grades have been dropping in his class and I've tried everything to raise it. Math isn't my forte and I am damn sure the quotient rule isn't going to solve my problems.
....
Class is over and I make way to the front of the class praying to the calculus gods like that's gonna work.

"Kiara, I'm worried about you not receiving your credits for this semester, you are such a talented and bright girl. I just wish you put more effort into what you are doing". His brow furrowed.

"Prof Blair, I'm trying everything I can, but it just doesn't make any sense", I look away in embarrassment.

"Well that's what my office hours are for, to help you and students who don't understand-over-stand".
I bit my lip a tried coming up with an excuse, "Prof. Blair-",
"I'm sorry Kiara, but I'm going to have to fail you for this semester",
Those words made my stomach turn, I've never failed a class and I've never ever wanted to hear those words from a teacher. I felt myself starting to panic.
"Please, Prof.Blair, I cannot fail, is there any other way- I mean I can do extra work, I swear to put in more effort. I need these credits, please!!",
Prof.Blair shook his head, "There might be one way-".
"Which is?", I crossed my fingers and closed my eyes hoping it's not a shit ton of work.
"I'll have Ejji tutor you",
"Ejji-?", you mean the rude ass boy that bumps me in the halls, never says excuse me, in general is rude asf, blatant, doesn't care about people's opinions or people in general, that Ejji?
Prof.Blair pulled a crooked smile .
"He's a great student and would be willing to help",
Everything Prof.Blair said sounded like Charlie Browns parents, whaah whaah whaah.
"Fine I'll accept if this is the only way!". I rolled my eyes and sighed.
"Great I'll send him an email, and get to studying young lady, exams are near".
"Goodbye Prof.Blair", I waved and exited that cursed Class.

"Kiara you're finally out!", Dana grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the building. I just can't believe Prof.Blair is pairing me with a chump, Wonder how this is gonna turn out.

"Girl what's wrong, I can tell something is up!", she sat me down on the bench.
I pushed my long black hair out from my face and sighed really loud for all the world to hear.
"Prof.Blair is making Ejji tutor me like I'm some child",
"You mean the Ejji Ejji", her eyes widened and a huge smile fell upon her face.
"Girl yes", I tilted my head back and gazed at the setting sun.
She screams which causes me to damn near have a heart attack.
"Kiara he's so FINEE", she grabs her heart and moves to and fro.
"Girl, he's an asshole-", Dana hit my shoulder.
"You're lucky, literally all the girls here fall head over heels for him!". She sits down next to me and rests her head on my shoulder.

I forgot to mention, Dana, my best friend, my ride or die

I forgot to mention, Dana, my best friend, my ride or die. She's that one friend that is so close they're just family. We've been through everything together, literally everything. I adore her carefree attitude and how she's so chill and happy. Whenever she's around I'm happy. Her energy is so positive and optimistic. She's much prettier than me and she's very popular which I'm not.

"Girl, you better shoot your shot! This might be your only chance", she slapped my thigh.
"Dana, you don't get it, I don't want anything to do with him-"
"Shut up, if I were you I would act dumb as fuck so he can just stay longer and you can stare at his beautiful face and think about all the things you could do to him, you know? ",
My mouth dropped open and I slowly turned my head to look at Dana. We both busted out laughing, "Dana, no". I stood up and looked at my phone noticing I received a message from an unknown number. Who is this?
Dana grabbed my phone and her smile appears again. "Meet @ The cafe at 6pm tomorrow, don't be late". She starts screaming, "Girl we are going shopping, you gotta look good for him",
"Dana, I'm good, I don't need to look good for him-",
I take my phone back and started making way to my dorm. "I'm telling you if he looks at you funny it's because you look a mess", I laughed, I waved my goodbye to Dana and continued walking.
"TAKE PICTURES!!",
"BYE DANA", I shook my head and laughed to myself.

Ejji, Ejji, Ejji. How will this turn out..