You Are: Chapter 1

Chapter 1-

I was sitting on the bed in our room. I couldn't help but think what I'm going to do with myself. I can't stay with Matt any longer. But I've been with him exclusively eight years; but he's been a part of my life for twelve. I can't put up with the drugs anymore. I haven't done anything for myself in years, all I do is take care of Matt. Well I'm done, and he's going to hear all about it.

My name is Margaret Blair, but everyone calls me Maggie. And the love of my life, Matthew Eriksen, calls me Mar. Matt and I graduated from high school two years ago. When I decided to go attend New York University, Matt followed me, but to work near the school. Matt and I now live in New York City full time, in a little apartment in Manhattan. While I attend school full time, Matt waits tables at a local restaurant. On the side he is also a drug addict. Matt has been a drug addict since a 'friend' gave him some coke at Matt's sixteenth birthday party. I love Matt with all my heart and I've dealt with this for too long. That's why I'm sitting her on my bed thinking as to what I'm going to do.

Flashback

My freshman year of high school I was walking down the hallway. As I was walking towards English I could hear the funeral march going towards the classroom. Every day I dreaded English. I didn't like having to write what my teacher told me. As I was walking down the hall someone covered my eyes.

"Surprise."

I smiled under his hands. Matt was always surprising me. I turned around and looked into his eyes. He smiled and kissed me passionately.

"Hi Matt."

"Let's get out of here."

"Out of here?" I was confused. I knew I had English but he wouldn't mean....

"Let's go to the beach."

The beach. Matt knew I loved the beach. The beach made me smile, the beauty of the waves crashing against the rocks and people watching in Laguna Beach. It took all I could to turn him down.

"But I have class.. I can't skip English."

"Yeah you can, come on." Matt took my hand and we ran down the hallway, we were at the door on the way out of the building by the time the late bell rang. We ran to the next street down and stopped, panting.

"The beach is such a long walk from here. Are we really going to walk for an hour?"

He looked back at me and smirked.

"What? Are you afraid you'll get tired?"

I stuck my tongue out at him.

"No..." He stopped so suddenly I barely even noticed. "Why did you stop, Matt?"

It was then that he picked me up and threw me over his shoulder. I had a great view of his butt.

"MATT!!!"

"At least you're not walking."

I laughed. He was right, I wasn't walking.

He carried me like that all the way to the beach. I noticed the weird looks we were getting, but it didn't seem like Matt cared. Finally about 45 minutes later he gently placed me down onto a towel. I opened my eyes and looked around me. There was a gorgeous beach. I didn't see anyone on it, but there were gorgeous rocks all around, and our own private beach.

"It's so pretty here Matt."

I hadn't noticed he sat down next to me. He put his arm around me and kissed me forehead. I loved it when he kissed my forehead.

"Anything for you, babe."

We sat there for a while longer. It was getting hot so I looked over at Matt.