Chapter 2

A human would've called the quietness in the car silence. But werewolves can hear every click and tick, which is a bitch when I'm trying to sleep. The only noise was that of the car as it sliced through the Miami wind. At seventy miles per hour, the engine purred. Not that thunderous growl of a serious sports car, but a purr, which worked just fine for me.

I didn't feel like listening to music. I normally do when I'm driving. Part of me felt unreal, disconnected from reality. Jacob's lifeless brown eyes and that angry cut haunted me.

The killer's hand had been steady, not careless or driven by passion. I was betting the murder had been premeditated. Whoever had killed Jacob had planned it and taken the boy when no one was looking. If the vampire had gotten into his mind, Jacob might've enjoyed every minute as he slowly slipped into the abyss of death.

I heard a rumble before lights flashed in my rearview mirror. The car behind mine swerved into the middle lane, speeding up until it was next to mine.

The little metal cobras against the shimmering purple paint gave away its model, though I couldn't see the driver through the tinted windows. They hit the gas and the Mustang lurched forward. I shook my head. If they thought I would race, they were wrong.

When I heard another rumble I glanced at the Mustang. "Good Lady, I could outrun your car on foot, you idiot."

They did it again. I was about to give them the one-finger salute when my cell phone rang from the console. I grabbed the headset, placing it in my ear and answering without bothering to look at the caller ID.

"Yeah?"

"What's up?" It was Shawn.

"Oh, trying to get some idiot to understand I don't feel like racing."

"What kind of car is it?"
I told him.

He laughed. "Yeah, you don't have a chance."

"Gee, you think?"

"Occasionally."

The purple car slowed and pulled into the lane behind me.

"Rupert."

"What?"

"They're on my ass," I growled. My agitation caught the wolf's interest. I took a deep breath, forcing a steady hand over my emotions. Had it been closer to the full moon and had there been any actual triggers, it would've been harder for me to squish her. Thankfully, it wasn't, and when I focused on shielding, she quieted. Shape-shifting while driving...could law enforcement ticket for that?

After a long pause he asked, "Can you shake them?"

"Yeah, hold on." I plucked the earpiece out of my ear and tossed it into the passenger seat.

Well, if up my ass was where they wanted to be...

I slammed on the brakes, gripping the steering wheel at ten and two. My tires squealed to a halt, echoed by the sound of the Mustang's. I waited for the space of a heartbeat for the Mustang to slam into my Tiburon. When the impact finally came it was more of a tap than the big crash boom I expected.

The man who emerged from the car looked furious. His dark brown hair rose in porcupine spikes, and a black leather jacket covered his light gray sweater.