Chapter 5

She broke the kiss when she placed me gently on the bed, then climbed on top of me and turned off the bedside lamp.

I looked at Lauren and felt like I was stuck in some erotic, thrilling black-and-white movie. Her curls fell around her incredibly pale face, making it appear even more striking. With her on top of me, the cut of her gown pulled away from her body. It was loose enough that my gaze was drawn to the swell of her white breasts.

A new wave of desire filled me. The anticipation speeded up my pulse, made my heart beat faster. Could she see me as well as I could see her in the dark? But before I could ask, she grabbed the front of my shoulder holster, pulling my face to hers.

She kissed me, gently at first like the brush of a moth's wing. I pressed into the kiss, begging her for the depth my mouth craved, my body craved. She pushed me down on the pillows, her pale face looming like some dark beauty. With both hands she grabbed the strap of the holster, and before I could tell her not to, the leather snapped.

"There are things I want from you, Camz," she said, words like a susurrus wind tickling autumn leaves. Lauren's 's power rode the air and pulsed against my skin like a clinging mist.

Her voice sent chills up my spine, encouraging my body to rise to meet hers.

"Things that might frighten you," she whispered against the fall of my hair. Her hand traveled the front of my body. She placed her hand between my legs, and even through the jeans, I could feel the weight of her power. The promise of what we were about to do.

The wolf stirred, rising in me like some great wave. She pushed near the surface, but instead of threatening to break through, she waited. I placed my hands on Lauren's hips, sliding them up the curve of her body until I cupped both of her breasts.

Her dark eyelashes fluttered.

"You won't frighten me, Lauren."

"Are you so sure?" Her body went inhumanly still. I sat up and caught her shoulders. Lauren let me push her onto her back.

I climbed on top of her, grabbed a handful of her gown, and tugged. The buttons popped in a small orchestra of ripping thread and little pings as some of them hit the wall. I pressed my mouth against her collarbone, nibbling lightly. Lauren moaned.

Her hands were cool as she raised my shirt and stroked my stomach, but instead of taking off my shirt she tucked her fingers under the waistband of my jeans. At the touch of her fingers so dangerously close, I reached down to unbutton them. I was going through far too many clothes these days. And I hate shopping. I don't mind the new clothes, but I don't enjoy trying to pile-drive through a maze of shop-crazy women. This little werewolf is not that courageous.

Her mouth was suddenly against the side of my neck, tongue lingering over my suddenly thudding pulse. "No." She pushed my shoulders and I fell back.

Lauren didn't bother to unbutton my jeans. She caught the two folds of material and jerked, dragging them down in an achingly slow manner. The line of my black satin panties showed against my pale skin. She lowered her head, planting kisses across the jagged slant of my hipbone.

"Are you afraid?" she asked.

"If saying I'm afraid will get your mouth between my legs, then yes, I'm afraid, very afraid."

Lauren's laugh vibrated against me, caused my spine to bow. She licked a slow path across the top of my underwear, sealing a kiss against my skin. The muscles in my stomach contracted, rigid against the pleasure. She placed those small kisses on the lower half of my body until her hands slid up over my hips, across my ribs.