The Rescue

Coiny checked the clock on the wall.  "5:00 pm." He read. "Time to leave." He turned the kitchen light on and grabbed a flashlight. Coiny quickly snatched his phone. 

  He looked over at Fuzz. The lazy white cat was dozing on the couch. Coiny nudged his pet awake. Fuzz let out a bad-tempered hiss, but followed his master out anyway. "I need you to come in case Needle's dog attacks us." Coiny explained, giving Fuzz cat treats to bribe him.

     The door creaked open. The sky was completely dark and devoid of any stars. The flashlight flickered on, lighting up the area around them. Coiny crept around the next house. A bright glow came from the window of the house.

   Slowly, Coiny raised his head and peered inside. No object was in the living room, yet the TV was running and the screen was on. "That's strange." Coiny thought, before he and Fuzz started to scamper across the backyard and onto the sidewalk.

   It wasn't long before they reached the local store. The very same one that Coiny had met Needle at the day before. "Come over here!" A whisper broke Coiny's thoughts. He shuddered, peering around the corner of the store.

  "What's wrong?" He saw Pin at the other end of the alleyway. "Are you scared of the dark?" Coiny shook his head, embarrassed. "No," He answered. "I was only thinking about Needle." "Stop worrying so much!" Pin told him. "We will find out what's going on." 

   Coiny smiled. Pin's confidence reassured him a bit. "What is that cat doing here?" Pin asked suddenly, pointing to Fuzz. "He is here to protect us." Coiny explained. "Needle's dog could attack at any moment." "I guess that's true."  Pin nodded. 

   "Come on!" She ordered, leading both of them down the alleyway, and into the back door of the store. Pin opened the door. Flicking on her flashlight, she began to examine the room. Coiny joined her, doing the same. Fuzz simply sniffed around and hissed at any noise. 

   Suddenly, Pin paused. A fierce snarl split the air. Another growl erupted in the darkness. In that moment,  a white flash lounged at Coiny, it's teeth snapping. Coiny fell to the ground, the darkness spinning in his eyes. 

   He heard a screech of pain that was not his own.  His heart lurched. "Pin!" He called desperately. There was no answer, only the low snarl of the beast that had pounced on him. But, suddenly, Coiny felt the weight lift off of him.

   He heard horrible whimpering noises, though. "Are you alright?" He strange object asked, finally becoming visible in the light.  "Thank you!" Coiny gasped. "I owe my life to you!" the object smiled. "I just did what any other object would do." "But, where's Pin?" Coiny asked, suddenly in a state of panic again. "Oh, you mean your friend." The object guessed. "I showed her a place to hide from that vicious dog." They explained. "Dog?" Coiny asked. "Needle's dog!" He figured. 

    The strange object continued to lead him down a passageway. They opened a storage closet door. Pin was there, breathing heavily, her heart pounding. "Coiny!" She gasped. "Are you alright?" "Yes," Coiny answered, hugging her. "This strange object saved my life." Fuzz rubbed his head against the object's leg, purring loudly. "You mean Peppermint?" Pin asked. "That's his name?" Coiny looked at the object. "Yes." Peppermint answered, pulling away from Fuzz.

   "What are you two even doing in here so late at night?" Peppermint asked, seeming even calmer than Pin after that encounter. "We are investigating." Coiny answered. Peppermint's eyes gleamed with curiosity. "What are you investigating?" He leaned closer, wanting to hear more. "That's none of your business." Coiny snapped. Pin gave him a stern look. "He saved our lives!" She reminded him. "We might have been dog food if he didn't show up!" Coiny realized that she was right.  

  He groaned with annoyance. "We are trying to find out what Needle is doing." Peppermint nodded, clearly satisfied that he had gained new information.  "I can help." He offered, grinning at Pin. "Of course you can!" Pin hugged Peppermint. "You did save both of our lives!" Fuzz seemed to agree, as he was rubbing against Peppermint's leg again. Coiny growled quietly to himself. "Sure, he can come." Coiny decided at last. 

    Pin lead all of them into the main building. Her eyes were wide with terror. "What's wrong?" Coiny tried to comfort her. Pin didn't answer. She just lead them further in, shivering with terror.