CHAPTER FOUR!

**Friday, after drama club rehearsal

     "Girls like you are just so cool." McQuaid shyly confessed. Becka almost bounced back in shock, unsure if what she had just heard was true or not. McQuaid had just indirectly called her cool, which meant something. A blush spread across her cheeks, giving her away.

     "Girls like me are the opposite of cool." She told him. They walked out the door together, smiling.

     "No, you so are." He seemed to be getting more comfortable, stepping away from his outer awkward shell. Becka smiled, beamed rather, at him. She looked over, seeing Kate and Olivia chatting. She shot Olivia an encouraging wink and then turned back to McQuaid.

     "Anyway, are you going to the game tonight?" She asked him, smiling. McQuaid shot her a look, his eyebrows furrowed together.

     "No offense, Becka, but you have to be stoned if you really think I would ever go to a sports event." He responded, his voice monotone. Becka laughed still, bumping into his shoulder.

     "You should go, though! Games are so fun. You get the full high school experience there; if you're lucky." She told him, adjusting her backpack on her shoulder. McQuaid pondered the thought. He wasn't the type of guy to care too much about the "full high school experience", he'd rather watch someone else experience it from a safe distance, but something made him agree. 

     "Fine. I'll see if I can." And with that, McQuaid walked out of the school, smiling. Becka watched him disappear into a car that drove away. The whole time, she was smiling. She went back into the auditorium to grab her bag when suddenly, water poured down onto her. She screamed, not bothering to see who had pulled it. Right now, she needed to find Oliver and Emaline.

     She ran out the back door, hoping to find them taking a smoke, but they were gone. Instead, she ran into Luke O'Neil. He was also soaking wet. She stared at him for a moment, wondering whether or not it was safe to accuse him. Eventually, she settled on the idea that it was. She walked over to him, her shoes squeaking.

     "Are you responsible for this?" She asked, slightly annoyed that her clothes were all wet. Makeup ran down her face, her hair sticking to her forehead. 

     "I- No? Yes? I don't know." He answered, sighing. He ran his hands over his face, distressed. Firetrucks could be heard in the distance. Glancing around, Becka pulled Luke into a set of woods, hiding them both from the nearby police. They cut through a strangers backyard and ran their separate ways.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Becka separated from Elaine, going off to find McQuaid. If he even decided to show up, that is. She went behind the bleachers, where all the potheads and sophomores hung out. Technically, you weren't supposed to be under there, but if no one was there to stop her, then Becka didn't see the problem with it. McQuaid wasn't likely to know to check under the bleachers, but from here, she could keep an eye on the front entrance, so it wouldn't matter. 

     About fifteen minutes passed, no McQuaid. Becka got frustrated, so she went up onto the bleachers. Her rather large group of friends and acquaintances were all grouped up next to the band, some even sitting with the band. She found Jess and decided that was her best bet. So, she walked over to the saxophone section and set down.

     "You good?" Jess asked, looking over at her. Jess had always been friendly and understanding. 

     "No, not really. Jess- How do you get over being stood up?" Usually, Becka wouldn't have a type of conversation like this with someone outside of her inner circle, but Olivia and Kate were chatting, and Elaine was nowhere to be seen. Anyone else would do. She probably would've asked someone who seemed like they had more experience, someone who was more open and honest, but the someone she had in mind was also busy getting high off of just the smell of another certain someone.

     "You'll be mad for a while, but you'll make it through. Who stood you up, anyway?" Jess responded. Becka sighed, throwing her hands over her face. She was a mix of emotions at the moment, unsure of what to do. The main question running through her head was just: why would McQuaid do this? What reason did he have to stand her up?

     "No one. Anyway, who do you like?" Becka wanted desperately to change the subject, to get on a happier topic. She wanted to be happy for someone else since right now, she couldn't be happy for herself.

     "McQuaid." The words rang in her ears. She was not expecting for Jess to be that open and honest. She was enraged but also sadder than she had started out with. Her mouth fell open, and in a brief moment of panic and anger, the only thing she could think to do is let it spew all out.

     "No. No way. I like McQuaid." Becka replied, her voice irritated. 

     "Well, I'm allowed to like him too." Jess sounded almost offended like she wasn't sure why it was a big deal. 

     "Yes, well, step off." Becka barked, swaggering away from Jess. She was more than annoyed now. She got stood up by her crush, only to find out that one of her considered friends likes the same guy as her. Today was just not her day. Usually, Becka would have handled this news better. Under any other circumstances, in fact. But this was unexplainable. She liked McQuaid; a lot. And she surely couldn't let him slip through her fingertips. 

     She slumped over, taking a seat next to Athena, who seemed to be enjoying the game. Lisette was on the other side of her, looking like she didn't want to be there. Athena glanced over, smiling at Becka. Becka smiled back, but it was very obviously fake. 

     "What's up with you?" Athena asked. Becka tapped her fingers against her jeans, something she often did when she got nervous or upset. She thought, exhaling before she answered. It seemed like the equivalent to blowing steam out of your ears.

     "I thought I could just like someone in peace, but I can't." She vented, the anger in her voice clear as day. Athena hummed in response, looking back towards the field.

     "I know what you mean." She confessed, not making eye contact. Becka raised an eyebrow, unsure of what she meant by that. "Your friend, Olivia? She likes the same person as me." Athena informed her. Becka's mouth formed in an 'O' shape, announcing that she understood. It never quite clicked with her that Athena, a super popular girl, was into girls. That wasn't something you heard about.

     "Well, I guess we're in this together, huh?" Becka asked, dry laughing. She was rooting for Olivia, of course she was, but Athena understood what this anger and pain felt like. She understood the feeling of not truly being able to just like someone and not have to worry about if you were the only one looking at them. Becka felt relieved to know that she wasn't the only one who understood what this felt like. She liked knowing that she wasn't in this alone. It made her feel human compared to how she just felt. Maybe, she thought, this was the start of a power friendship.