Chapter 4

I opened the door that morning, to see Jason’s mother standing there.  Her face was tearstained, but she wasn’t crying at that moment.  She extended her arm to hand me a white envelope.  “They found this among Jason’s things.  It was addressed to you, but never mailed,” she said.  

I tried to smile.  “Thank you,” I said taking the envelope.  She nodded before walking toward her car.  I closed the door and locked it, before walking up the stairs, down the hall and into my bedroom.  For a while I sat on my bed staring at the envelope. 

After a bit of mental preparation and a few deep breaths, I began to tear the envelope.  Inside was a piece of lined paper, which had a handwritten message.  

Dear Anna, 

I’m sorry.  I regret leaving you every moment, and I just can’t apologize enough.  Please, just try to find it in your heart to forgive me.  I can’t live without your forgiveness, just like I can’t live without you.  I have to do something, and I don’t want to do it.  I can’t explain now, but I will.  I’ll explain it all.  But for now, just remember, there’s a reason that they retrieved my body.

Sincerely, Jason 

I read the letter again.  The last sentence stuck with me the most.  “It’s not possible,” I thought.  I was angry, angry at myself.  I actually had hope that he may be alive, and I didn’t want to have hope.  I didn’t want to go by thinking that there is a chance that he is still out there right before the verified his death.  Again, I looked over the letter.  

Even if he was out there, why would he fake his own death?