Chapter 6

“So, you believe that you know something that we don’t?” His mustache twitched beneath his rounded nose when he spoke.  He stared at me intently, as I tried to remain seemingly confident.

I swallowed and nodded.  “This letter was found,” I said before taking it out of a pocket inside of my coat.  I extended my arm and handed him the letter.  I watched as he meticulously examined it.  He shook his head. 

“This could’ve easily been a prank, or at least a trick to make us further investigate into the matter,” he said dismissively.  My eyes darted away from his stern, dark brown ones and around the room.  I looked at the small screen on the wall.  It was 1:24:37.  That was the moment that I remembered the list. 

“I’m sorry.  It was all just so sudden, it feels.  I never expected his name to be on that list, but there it was.  I just kept hoping that it was some mistake.  Maybe something went wrong with the computer.  But, no.  And we never even found out the cause of death,” I said. I smirked a bit as his eyes widened.  “You wouldn’t happen to be able to say the cause of death, would you?”  

At first, he was lost for words. Several times he seemed as if he was about to speak, but changed his mind each time.  He adjusted his tie a few times as well. After a few moments, he spoke.  “There is a lot of information concerning this mission that is completely confidential.”  Part of me wanted to say that I was going to find out for myself and then make a dramatic exit.  However, I knew that that wasn’t going to get me anywhere.  He would know that I wouldn’t be able to find the answers on my own, so it wouldn’t get anything out of him.

“You can’t possibly be allowed to keep us in the dark the like this!  Don’t we have the right to know something?” I said, slightly raising my voice. 

He smiled an almost twisted smile and shook his head.  “Things are changing.  You’re lucky to have gotten any information at all.”  

“You’re right.  You seem to be covering up a lot, though.  It’s rather suspicious,” I said.  I tried to keep the mask on.  My fake confidence was something that I couldn’t let go of.  It was my only means of getting any answers then.  

“Maybe we are.  But there’s a lot that we can cover up, and there’s nothing that you can do to stop us,” he said.   

“Jason’s alive, and you know it, don’t you?”