CHAPTER TWO

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚠𝚘

"YOU'VE GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!" hannah warden duly complained as she thrusted the motor shift in a trembling hand. the car refused to budge, as she'd taken it out of park almost ten minutes before. even still, after all of the effort hannah had put into begging the vehicle to move, it sat, seemingly frozen in the driveway. "c'mon, c'mon-" she whispered in a desperate frustration, "let's go .. ! you're not that old!"

of course, she'd promised a note she could keep herself. how would her boss react when she arrived over an hour late? those coffee orders wouldn't submit themselves. with the touch of the joystick, hannah pulled her keys out of the ignition, then forcing them back into the keyhole.

"damn." hannah slammed her back against the car seat. "damn!"

only if jim was here. she knew she shouldn't have kept the inherited car from for nana's garage. she didn't want to call sam. she really didn't want to call sam.

but at a moment like this, it seemed as if it were her only option.

hannah whipped out her small cellphone from her purse, exhaling as she flipped it up, taking her to the home screen.

  and there it was, that bright blue contact— JIM HALPERT.

  no. no calling him. he's at work— and he's only your roommate. hannah sighed gently against the frigid air, taking the cursor of the phone and scrolling down to her last contact— sam winchester.

  sam wasn't marked in all capitals like jim, but did have a nickname. "sammy". but it still wasn't on capitals, so it had always deemed itself different. hannah warden would call sam winchester— her boyfriend, and that was nothing but final.

  it was embarrassing. sam had been with her through hell and back. she loved him in high school— and she had now. or did she? sam had always done so much for the woman— and he didn't deserve her indecisive thoughts or self doubt. what he deserved was a confident adult who could make decisions for herself— or sleep the whole night through without accidentally waking him up. you could assume how.

  in conclusion, samuel winchester, native of london, deserved so much better.

  CLICK !

  the slow, monotone ringing of hannah's cell phone always surfaced new thoughts. the ring sounded like an animal of some sort. maybe a panther. or maybe even lightning—

  "hello?"

  the voice cut off her thoughts. silence. the man sounded drowsy. sleepy. he'd been still in bed. damn.

  ". . . hannah? is this your contact?"

  still silence. finally, speaking up, but softly-

  "yeah. hey, sammy."

  "car trouble?"

   sam could read her mind. he always told the woman "the only knew the thoughts of the woman he truly loved". it was still true. always true. it put a sour taste in hannah's mouth— yet she couldn't put her finger on why.

  "ugh—" she groaned softly, hearing the man shift his position over the phone. "yeah, sammy. i'm so sorry i interrupted your sleep— i just don't want—"

  "honey, it's fine. you need to get to work. i'm not going to leave you hanging." a smile could be seen over the audio, even without the picture. he was smiling. not mad. not upset she woke him. "i'm getting in the car right now. should we get coffee? you're probably freezing in that piece of crap."

  hannah nearly laughed at how caring he was. but he was right yet again. she was freezing. but still, she replied with the opposite.

  "there's not enough time. it's not that cold." she smiled at his comment, "but thank you for coming. i thought i was screwed."

  "you aren't. you're welcome. get a new car."

  "you suck. i love you."

  "i love you, too. see you in a minute."

  and that was the call.

joyscloset !