EIGHTEEN

- Maya's POV -

"How are you?" She asked Juliet, her ex. They had dated for a few months when they were in at St. Friedrich's.

"I'm good. How about you?"

Maya played with the diamond ring on her left hand. "I'm... great, actually."

"That's nice."

"I'm engaged," Maya blurted.

Silence.

Maya cursed herself for announcing it like that. Shit. Think before you speak, Maya. THINK.

And then Juliet laughed roughly. "You never were good at breaking news to people."

"I'm engaged," Maya repeated.

"Good for you," Juliet said a little coldly. "Who's the lucky guy?"

"His name is Nikolai Amelin. I think you know him," she said guiltily.

"Nikolai? My Nikolai?"

"Yeah." Maya felt awkward. Nikolai used to be Juliet's lover when she studied in Russia. Juliet had been in love with him.

"Well," Juliet said flatly, "This is just wonderful. And how is dear Kolya?"

Maya bristled when Juliet used his nickname. A nickname she wasn't allowed to call him. She nearly forgot how close Juliet and Nikolai were once. "He's fine."

"How long have you two been together? When did you two even meet?"

"We got together the summer you left, when you were in France for the summer to make up for the classes you missed. So only two months ago or so. We met at a gala hosted by my parents. I moved to Russia, by the way."

"Two months. Isn't that wonderful," Juliet said flatly. "Good to see that Nikolai got back up on his feet so quickly."

"How are you holding up?" Maya asked.

Juliet snapped, "what is that supposed to mean? I'm absolutely fine."

"I didn't mean anything by it," Maya said quickly.

"Of course you didn't, Maya."

"Listen. I just - " She sighed roughly. And then said, "I'm pregnant with Nikolai's kid. 2 months pregnant."

The line was completely silent.

It wasn't until a few minutes later that Juliet said, "so you have a fucking bun in the bloody oven, eh?"

Maya blinked. She would never get used to Juliet and the way she spoke and adjusted to situations.

Just then, Juliet loudly made an excuse about going to some party. She cut the call quickly.

Maya sighed.

***
- Juliet's POV -

She was not going to that party.

Instead, she threw on jeans, boots, a full sleeved grey t-shirt and then a jacket. She had finished her homework for the entire week already, and she was hungry.

She marched straight to Lincoln House, ignoring the very few boys that whistled at her, and gave them all flat stares in return.

She didn't feel like flirting today.

She knocked on Alex's door, and he opened it a minute later. He blinked. "Juliet."

She walked into his room, not bothering for permission, and said, "Are you free right now?"