Chapter 1

An old and bearded man stumbled into Villeneuve with his horse and carriage on their last legs. The journey had clearly taken a toll on the man, so he walked into the first building he could find.
"Could you spare a drop of water, kind lad?" He was talking to what he perceived as a store clerk apprentice. The boy immediately jumped from his seat and ran to the tap outside. Meanwhile the exhausted man with bright white hair dropped himself onto a stool inside the shop. The head clerk came out from behind a room.
"Anything I can do for you, sir?"
"Ah, I've already sent your boy to fetch me some water. I've been on a journey for far too long now."
"Where are you coming from, good man?"
"Paris. I'm here to find my brother, it's been years since I saw him. In all honesty I thought he was dead. I know his wife died... never heard what happened to him or his little baby. The plague hit Paris in ways I didn't think were imaginable. I just found out some time ago that he took his daughter and hid here in this fine little town and I decided it was high time I come see them."
"He didn't take you with him?"
"Nah, he probably thought I was dead. 'Twas dark times we were living in. No one knew anything about anyone." Just then the boy came and brought a ceramic mug filled with water. "Oh, thank you lad." The man pulled a coin from his pocket and handed it to the small apprentice. "Anyway, maybe you could help me find my brother. This town can't be too big, can it?" He chuckled, taking a sip from his mug.
"I can surly try. I do pride myself on knowing most of the people around here," the clerk said in a smug tone. "What's your brother's name?"
"Maurice. And his daughter was.... oh.. what was her name..."
The clerk raised his eyebrows, "..Belle?"
"Yes! Belle, that's it. So I'm gathering you know them? This is wonderful! You must direct me towards them."
"Sir, is this some sort of joke? Surly you know where Maurice and Belle currently live..." The old man scowled.
"Do I look like a man that knows where they are?"
"I apologize sir, I mean no offense. It's just.. well, they live in the castle, sir. With the king."
"The king of France? Good heavens! They're servants in the royal palace?" This made the store clerk, as well as his apprentice, burst into laughter.
"Oh, my good man. They're so much more than servants to the King."