issues || audrey + yurio + alek + natalya

i warn you all: this is the longest chapter in this book so far

enjoy xx

Las Vegas, NV, U.S.A.
Year 2027

"Mommy, where are we headed to?" the 3-year-old girl questioned her mother as she sat alone at the backseat of the car.

The woman driving at the front looked an absolute mess. She was rather young, somewhere in her early twenties, perhaps. Her wavy ash-brown hair was unkempt, her makeup was smudged, and she wore a red dress made out of silk that exposed one leg. "To California, Natalya."

Natalya perked up. "Are we going to see Kuya and Pa—"

"No. They left this country, remember? They've gone to Russia."

The little girl's face fell. "Oh."

"We'll be meeting your Auntie Lexie in L.A., and prepare ourselves for the flight back to New York—well, just you and your aunt, actually. She will take good care of you while I return to Canada."

Natalya loved her Aunt Lexie, but she wasn't too happy about the idea. First she was taken away from her beloved older brother and father, and now her mother? "But Mommy, why don't you just come with us? Why go to Canada?"

The 25-year-old woman heaved a sigh. "You know I still have college to attend to."

Filipino-American model and actress, Audrey Johnson, hadn't gone straight to college after graduating high school considering she still had her modeling and acting career to pursue. She spent her pre-high school years pageant-training before winning the Miss Universe title at age 23, when Clarissa was four, Alek was three and Natalya was one. After her one-year reign, she'd decided to take a break from Hollywood and her acting career (though she still continued modeling) to attend college at Toronto University.

She had just recently broken up with her boyfriend, legendary Russian figure skater Yuri Plisetsky—who was also Alek and Natalya's father—after a horrible argument which then led to their separation. Alek was taken under his dad's custory while Natalya went with their mom. As for their elder half-sister, Clarissa, she was residing in Spain with her father, Manu Rios—Audrey's ex-boyfriend.

"I'll say 'hi' to Zac, Jeanne, Sebastian, and Carla for you," Audrey promised.

Natalya scowled as she crossed her arms. "They're annoying, especially those idiot boys. Kuya would have loved to see Zac, though. They're best friends. And speaking of friends..." she glanced out the window miserably.

"I know you miss your friends back in Russia," said Audrey. "Don't worry, I'll get us to visit Hasetsu and Saint Petersburg when I have the time. For now, my schedule's really full, unfortunately."

Natalya frowned. "Mommy,"

"Yeah?"

"Why are you like this? You're acting like... one of those people I'm scared of. Those people on TV shows and movies who do crazy things because they drink so much wine."

"But am I acting like that right now?"

"Well, no... not right now. But earlier at the casino, you were."

"I'm sorry you had to witness all that."

"Are all young adults supposed to be like that? Will I be like that when I'm an adult?"

Audrey swallowed. "I'll do my best to make sure that'll never happen. That you won't end up an alcoholic like me... that you'll never get your heart broken. You will grow up to be a strong woman, I promise..."